Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #42 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,621 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 25 December 2021 - 13:26

+ 2x DVB-S2x FBC Tuner onbard

Usual marketing blabla...

1x DVB-S2x FBC Tuner onbard (an FBC Tuner has 2 inputs, but that doesn't make it two FBC tuners).

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #43 speed

• 420 posts

Neutral

Posted 25 December 2021 - 14:31

so i now use solo2 what advantages has fbc tuner in comparison to solo2? 

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #44 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,621 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 25 December 2021 - 15:04

An FBC tuner provides 2 root tuners (each connected to an input) and 6 leaf tuners (internally looped through to either one of the root tuners).

In unicable setups, this provides 8 individual tuners able to tune 8 different transponders, on any connected LNB.

In legacy (diseqc) setups, it provides the same as a dual/twin tuner, with 6 additional looped-through tuners. So you can tune 2 quadrants (one for each cable connected), and you can tune up to 8 transponders in those two quadrants.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #45 Quark82

• 40 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 December 2021 - 11:21

My personal favorite:

Mutant HD51 / AX HD51

+ Gigabit LAN (with very good performance)

+ internal HDD 2,5" (unofficial 3,5" is possible)

+ support 4K in H.264

+ support 4K in H.265

+ 2x Tuner Slot

+ DVB-S2x Tuner available (Slot)

+ IPTV is running very good with openpli 8.1, like a Sat Channel

- no FBC Tuner available

- End of life (search on eb*y)

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #46 speed

• 420 posts

Neutral

Posted 28 December 2021 - 14:10

i like the gigablue ue 4k

but on the download page its saying no manufacturer support? 

whats this translate to exactly?

and hows the box working no problems with openpli?

any bugs?

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #47 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,621 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 28 December 2021 - 14:22

That means that if there is a problem with the closed source software the manufacturer supplies and needs to maintain, we can't fix it as the manufacturer('s developer) does not respond to such requests (anymore).

In other words, as long as it works, it works.

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #48 speed

• 420 posts

Neutral

Posted 28 December 2021 - 15:14

That means that if there is a problem with the closed source software the manufacturer supplies and needs to maintain, we can't fix it as the manufacturer('s developer) does not respond to such requests (anymore).

In other words, as long as it works, it works.

damn so you mean tomorrow new openpli might or might not work?

thats a dealbreaker i guess

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #49 adriankoooo

• 125 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 28 December 2021 - 15:36

@WanWizard, what brand OpenPli developers are recommending? Which brand is "good", I mean open to requests? I know that Dream and Vu+ has closed source.

Is there any brand which is actively communicating with OpenPli?

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #50 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,621 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 28 December 2021 - 17:07

Every vendor is the same in this respect, as all low-level software (aka "the drivers") is closed source and under NDA.

There are two types of vendors:

• manufacturers, who design and make their own hardware
  • oem vendors, who by their hardware with their own branding

There are only a few real manufacturers, Dream, Xtrend, VU+, Zgemma, they make (made) and sell their own brand, and you have manufacturers like Dags, who only produce OEM hardware (for example Qviart and Xsarius).

All others, like Mutant, Octagon, Qviart, Xsarius, Maxytec and so on are OEM vendors. They make a deal with a manufacturer for x pallets of a box with their specifications, and if the pallets are sold, the box is End-of-Sale, and they move on to a new model.

As to the software, there are also differences. The manufacturers have their own software developer or team. Some OEM's do as well (like Edision). Other OEM's use the manufacturers developers (if and when present), and others hire external developers on a pay-per-hour basis.

In all cases, software development is an after-sales cost, and most can't be bothered, especially in the OEM group. So you see some response when the box is actively sold, but when the pallets are empty, forget it.

Dream is a special case, as they have abandoned all open source development, and rebranded OE/Enigma as DreamOS. So they fall in the category "forget ever getting a response", which is why we don't build images for Dreamboxes anymore.

So, providing a good answer is difficult, as it depends on the moment.

Gigablue started with their own hardware (which I assume was OEM made to specifications), but I expected ended up in heavy financial weather, and moved towards OEM rebranding (like the Trio 4K). Nobody's home anymore, not a single response to emails, and the last BSP update was made by a german ATV developer using data from OE-A. Similar things happened with other vendors that are no longer present on the homepage.

VU+ seems to be in bad weather as well, given the lack of stock over the last year, and a corresponding slowdown in developer response.

No issues sofar with Zgemma and Edision, but those make low-end hardware, single and dual tuner boxes. Other brands are slow to respond, probably because the contact is a sales contact, and development is a cost.

Which means that if you're looking for a more high-end box (in terms of features), it's slim pickings at the moment.

Having said that, Xtrend has been bankrupt for many years, but their hardware in general still runs fine, so you have to judge for yourself what is important and what not.

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #51 adriankoooo

• 125 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 29 December 2021 - 12:33

Excellent writeup, this should be pinned somewhere.

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #52 zeros

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,635 posts

+61
Good

Posted 30 December 2021 - 18:56

Yes, that's a beautiful summary!  :)

DM920UHD DVB-S2X TRIPLE tuner + Triple M.S tuner DVB-S2X, DVB-T2/T, QboxHD, QboxHD Mini, Icecrypt T2300HD,
Qviart Lunix3 4K, Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB & 8GB

Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #53 Aliraza63

• PLi® Tester
  • 250 posts

+23
Neutral

Posted 31 December 2021 - 12:15

Every vendor is the same in this respect, as all low-level software (aka "the drivers") is closed source and under NDA.

There are two types of vendors:

• manufacturers, who design and make their own hardware
  • oem vendors, who by their hardware with their own branding

There are only a few real manufacturers, Dream, Xtrend, VU+, Zgemma, they make (made) and sell their own brand, and you have manufacturers like Dags, who only produce OEM hardware (for example Qviart and Xsarius).

All others, like Mutant, Octagon, Qviart, Xsarius, Maxytec and so on are OEM vendors. They make a deal with a manufacturer for x pallets of a box with their specifications, and if the pallets are sold, the box is End-of-Sale, and they move on to a new model.

As to the software, there are also differences. The manufacturers have their own software developer or team. Some OEM's do as well (like Edision). Other OEM's use the manufacturers developers (if and when present), and others hire external developers on a pay-per-hour basis.

In all cases, software development is an after-sales cost, and most can't be bothered, especially in the OEM group. So you see some response when the box is actively sold, but when the pallets are empty, forget it.

Dream is a special case, as they have abandoned all open source development, and rebranded OE/Enigma as DreamOS. So they fall in the category "forget ever getting a response", which is why we don't build images for Dreamboxes anymore.

So, providing a good answer is difficult, as it depends on the moment.

Gigablue started with their own hardware (which I assume was OEM made to specifications), but I expected ended up in heavy financial weather, and moved towards OEM rebranding (like the Trio 4K). Nobody's home anymore, not a single response to emails, and the last BSP update was made by a german ATV developer using data from OE-A. Similar things happened with other vendors that are no longer present on the homepage.

VU+ seems to be in bad weather as well, given the lack of stock over the last year, and a corresponding slowdown in developer response.

No issues sofar with Zgemma and Edision, but those make low-end hardware, single and dual tuner boxes. Other brands are slow to respond, probably because the contact is a sales contact, and development is a cost.

Which means that if you're looking for a more high-end box (in terms of features), it's slim pickings at the moment.

Having said that, Xtrend has been bankrupt for many years, but their hardware in general still runs fine, so you have to judge for yourself what is important and what not.

Well done . its great and informative summery .Now the dream lovers can easily understand why openpli is not working for it . 

DM-900 ,DM-520, Vu+Duo2

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #54 mimisiku

• 5,461 posts

+114
Excellent

Posted 31 December 2021 - 23:46

OpenPli works fine on Dreamboxes but without official support as they are all homebuild versions. Only drawback is that they normally don’t offer a (complete) Feed and (in some cases) have difficulty with drivers……

Met één been in het graf..... Helaas

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #55 Internaut

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 January 2022 - 15:21

i like the gigablue ue 4k

and hows the box working no problems with openpli?

any bugs?

I have for OpenPLI a "Octagon SF8008 Twin 4K UHD" (2x DVB-S2 MultiStream), and just bought a "GigaBlue UE 4K" (2x DVB-S2 FBC built in, plus Plug-In-Tuner with 2x DVB-S2 MultiStream).

So far (for me) the Giga UE box works nicely with OpenPLI. Maybe a little better than SF8008 (which has minor issues). But some little things also in OpenPLI with GigaBlue (Front-Display setting in deep-standby? SNR dB for Plug-In-Tuner?)

Nothing is perfect, I'm afraid - but very minor problems so far, and maybe the problems are fixable (I need to find time to write this up...)

Gigablue started with their own hardware (which I assume was OEM made to specifications), but I expected ended up in heavy financial weather, and moved towards OEM rebranding (like the Trio 4K). Nobody's home anymore, not a single response to emails, ...

That is sad, as I just bought a box from them, and it is a nice offer. I hope support in OpenPLI will not go away too soon...

(And yes, probably it was to be expected that it is difficult to make money developing hardware and software, as you write)

Edited by Internaut, 8 January 2022 - 15:22.

Current DVB-S: GigaBlue UE 4k (2xFBC + 2xMS), Octagon SF8008 Twin (2xMS), SF8008m Combo (1xMS + 1xDVB-T/C), OpenBox SX4 HD (1xDVB-S2)

History DVB-S: DM800HDse, VU+ Solo, OpenBox X820CI, DBox1 (DVB98)

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #56 Internaut

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 January 2022 - 15:43

gigabit lan port

Also the SF8008 Twin has a Gigabit port, but ... With OpenPLI I managed to get about 200-250 MBit/second, on average with the SF8008 (sometimes it would go up to about 400 MBit/second, but this was more the exception...)

Have not tested this with different software (nor with the GigaBlue yet).

Current DVB-S: GigaBlue UE 4k (2xFBC + 2xMS), Octagon SF8008 Twin (2xMS), SF8008m Combo (1xMS + 1xDVB-T/C), OpenBox SX4 HD (1xDVB-S2)

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #57 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,621 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 8 January 2022 - 15:54

For almost all boxes, the ethernet PHY is part of the SoC, and it is a very basic implementation, both in hardware and in software. You can't compare it to a PC card with all it's features.

Nothing of this is image specific, it's hardware and driver limited.

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #58 Internaut

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 January 2022 - 22:40

Nothing of this is image specific, it's hardware and driver limited.

I recently started having with OpenPLI on the SF8008 "jerky" video problems (on some French 5West channels), mostly playback, but also live TV. These problems go away when I boot different image (OpenATV, OpenVIX).

So yeah, same hardware, different boot image, problems go away. (IDK, different driver version?)

P.S.: I haven't had the time to write a proper bug report...

Edited by Internaut, 8 January 2022 - 22:41.

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #59 Internaut

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 January 2022 - 22:45

... same hardware, different boot image, problems go away. (IDK, different driver version?)

Also, I remember, I had problems a year ago with the DVB-T tuner in the SF8008m, where the 5V would not work in *MOST* images at the time (It worked ONLY in one image, I think it was OpenVIX...)

So it could be better in other images, or it could be worse in other images, you never know...

Re: looking for openpli supported cheap sat twin tuner #60 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,621 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 8 January 2022 - 23:55

Possible, but not related to the design of the ethernet port.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users