1894 replies to this topic

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #161 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,609 posts

+694
Excellent

Posted 17 October 2023 - 16:29

Nice!

[code=auto:0]convert type="ServiceName">•,NUMBER,NAME,ORBPOS,PROVIDER</convert>[/code]

Edited by littlesat, 17 October 2023 - 16:29.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #162 atef

• 92 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 17 October 2023 - 17:02

So here is the new version of the skin (0.9.9.2).

Changelog:

- changed some icons

- optimize screens to use one and same template where needed

- changed BoxLogo renderer so to be used in applets
- changed MessagesBox to be dynamic and to respect box logo
- small cleanup

As usual the compatibility package is needed for users of OpenPLi 9.0 RC.

Please report any issues here so to be able to correct them.

Now it works fine
Thank you

VU PLUS ULTIMO:Dreambox 820 hd:Spark 7111

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #163 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,404 posts

+160
Excellent

Posted 17 October 2023 - 22:15

Nice!

[code=auto:0]convert type="ServiceName">•,NUMBER,NAME,ORBPOS,PROVIDER</convert>[/code]

Looks like this:

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   131.73KB   2 downloads

Edited by Huevos, 17 October 2023 - 22:15.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #164 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,422 posts

+51
Good

Posted 18 October 2023 - 09:54

Nice!

@littlesat Well for that needs to be extended ServiceName converter and some others... But you have closed my PR for that....Should i made my own converters then (however you have requested that to be in the standard converter and i have added it, but you closed it)?

Vu+DUO4KSE, DM920UHD, Vu+Uno4KSE, SF8008Mini, Vu+Solo2, Dreambox DM500HD, Triax 78 (7E,9E,13E,19.2E,23.5E) & Triax 78 (39E)

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #165 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,422 posts

+51
Good

Posted 18 October 2023 - 10:11

Or maybe make a new PR with only convertor changes?

Vu+DUO4KSE, DM920UHD, Vu+Uno4KSE, SF8008Mini, Vu+Solo2, Dreambox DM500HD, Triax 78 (7E,9E,13E,19.2E,23.5E) & Triax 78 (39E)

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #166 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,609 posts

+694
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2023 - 10:34

I'm happy you're trying to create a new skin. But I think you also discovered that the biggest pain is to keep it compatible with the existing stuff and the existing stuff is a spaghetti...

E,g. I just reverted a part regarding the MovieSelection. On the top of all skins the remaining diskspace was shown, while there is no sufficient place here especially for longer and deeper directories. But your mod did made it default for all skins. I suggest to think to drive it over e.g. parameter section for the title to get that modified for your skin only. Value 0 (default) is not add it with the dots and keep it as it was before and value 1 do what you want....(I hope you understand what I mean). In between Huevos and others did perform fixes on the patch where multiple files were changed so I could not easily revert them. So I only revert the feature involved here.

I also saw you added a parameter string session. Why do you need it? can't we consider to adapt the current parameter section for strings?

For now I closed some commits (they might also be far behind). For me it is better to get a list of points what you need to adjust for you skin and then discuss a little bit before getting a full implementation...

I also prefer to get commits step by step. So feature by feature. Then it is easier in case a revert is required and also easier for me to overview what exactly is changed. E,g, the title in the movieplayer I completely missed. And then also comments are on a change can get more 'focus'. Sorry I cannot give a clear 'guideline' here.

Another sorry it was not intend to close them.

Please try again... sorry for being kind of rude!

Edited by littlesat, 18 October 2023 - 10:36.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #167 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,422 posts

+51
Good

Posted 18 October 2023 - 11:53

@littlesat

OK. I understand your point...

So i have created new PR https://github.com/O...igma2/pull/3799

This contains only convertors changes.

Look at it and comment if something needs to be adjusted.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #168 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,609 posts

+694
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2023 - 14:41

I did take a quickview. This adds a feature 'type' string where you can create a string with separator that combined stuff. This adds a feature that can be 'driven' by a skin and used by a skin when it is needed. I think this is fair enough... I just merged it.

E.g. the title in MovieSelection is more difficult. Maybe you can also find another way to show the remaining space on a specific disk. I even think for your skin it is better to find a fixed location for this information.

Thanks for your patience and your effort. I see a new more modern skin is born... And then such a way that also other skinners have new features available that is by default in a standard and I think good way and structured in the code. And also the first time no embeded renderers and converter py's are needed in the skin (I always hated that).

Edited by littlesat, 18 October 2023 - 14:45.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #169 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,092 posts

+1,762
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2023 - 14:44

From an architectural point of view, none of that should be in the core code of E2, everything a skin needs (to display) should be available as renderers, skins should be decoupled from the core code.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Ultimate (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #170 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,422 posts

+51
Good

Posted 18 October 2023 - 14:46

Thanks. I will think of a way this to be done. I am going to prepare more changes in other areas as a separate PRs. Meanwhile will think how to handle MovieSelection.py stuff. Thanks again.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #171 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,422 posts

+51
Good

Posted 18 October 2023 - 14:50

From an architectural point of view, none of that should be in the core code of E2, everything a skin needs (to display) should be available as renderers, skins should be decoupled from the core code.

Maybe.... But that means a lot lot renderers and converters and almost no way to make something universal.
I personaly agree with @littlesat that too many renderers are not convenient.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #172 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,092 posts

+1,762
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2023 - 14:58

Why do you need something "universal" for a skin?

Skins are a very personal thing, I don't like most of the skins made, and I absolutely hate the change you made to the movie selection title... It is a great example that shows you are wrong. You should always decouple were possible.

The current issue with renderers and converters is that they are all considered part of the core code, instead of part of the skin. Which is also an architecture / design error, and leads to conflicts and collisions, skins overwriting code, etc. Everything that is required to make a skin (work) should be part of the skin.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Ultimate (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #173 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,609 posts

+694
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2023 - 15:03

The whole skin thing in enigma2 is indeed 'bad-by-design'.... for this moment we have to handle with it.

I hope for what you need in your skin for the movieselector you can find a good compromise or concession... Adding a parameter for example will work... but it creates such an exception thing in the code.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #174 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,609 posts

+694
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2023 - 15:11

Also my complements as creating new skins and changing code is challenging. Debugging is difficult as when it 'crashes' most time you see something from that point on is not displayed (by default).... This to avoid skins may get enigma2 crashed years and years ago...

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #175 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,422 posts

+51
Good

Posted 18 October 2023 - 15:16

Why do you need something "universal" for a skin?

Skins are a very personal thing, I don't like most of the skins made, and I absolutely hate the change you made to the movie selection title... It is a great example that shows you are wrong. You should always decouple were possible.

The current issue with renderers and converters is that they are all considered part of the core code, instead of part of the skin. Which is also an architecture / design error, and leads to conflicts and collisions, skins overwriting code, etc. Everything that is required to make a skin (work) should be part of the skin.

Yes a skin is a personal thing in a matter of look. But skinners/designer should not have knowlege to write python stuff in my opinion. Skinners are more like art type people. They work with graphics and designs.
Why they have to understand python codding so to make some simple things when that can be integrated?
Thats why i think some features can be in the base code so to give possibilities to skinners to make different things without programming knowlege.
Ofcource they can always make new converters or renderers if they have the knowlege.
Now some of them just steal/copy python code from other skins and that lead only to redundancy. And that because they dont know how to code in python.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #176 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,422 posts

+51
Good

Posted 18 October 2023 - 15:21

Also my complements as creating new skins and changing code is challenging. Debugging is difficult as when it 'crashes' most time you see something from that point on is not displayed (by default).... This to avoid skins may get enigma2 crashed years and years ago...

Thanks. Indeed is challenging thing... But since i am a software developer as well is not a problem to handle some bugs ;)

Thats why i decided to dive into enigma2 and python so to change some stuff and make skinners life easier. Ofcource i wanted modern look as well :)

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #177 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,609 posts

+694
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2023 - 15:27

Thats why i think some features can be in the base code so to give possibilities to skinners to make different things without programming knowlege.

Enigma2 is here wrong by design.... so when you cannot find something you need in your skin you need to adapt the code and also keep backwards compatibility in mind.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #178 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,092 posts

+1,762
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2023 - 15:37

Yes a skin is a personal thing in a matter of look. But skinners/designer should not have knowlege to write python stuff in my opinion. Skinners are more like art type people. They work with graphics and designs.

Why they have to understand python codding so to make some simple things when that can be integrated?
Ofcource they can always make new converters or renderers if they have the knowlege.
Now some of them just steal/copy python code from other skins and that lead only to redundancy. And that because they dont know how to code in python.

A bit of a contradition, this.

As said, I have no problem with addional converters or renderers (which should provide raw data, to be formatted by a skin definition, to avoid having 10 renderers for the same data but in different formats).
My issue was with changing core code that would "force" your view of something onto everyone. The movie selection title is a good example of something that should be a renderer (two in fact, one for the current path, one for the free space on that path).

It was Littlesat and yourself who said that additional ones shouldn't be added, not I. I am against hacking or leaving this stuff into the enigma core code, where it doesn't belong.

A skin designer has the choice, either use the renderers or converters that are available, or provide skin specific renderers (which should be part of the skin directory stucture, NOT in the system directory!).

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #179 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,422 posts

+51
Good

Posted 18 October 2023 - 15:37

Yes. I agree. But that can be done by people that knows how to do that...
Most of skinners doesnt know.
I agree there should be backward compatability, so i try always to keep that in mind.
Even i try to keep it compatible with more than one distro (if anyway is needed something special). But it will be great if special things are at minimum in my opinion.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #180 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,092 posts

+1,762
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2023 - 15:38

Enigma2 is here wrong by design.... so when you cannot find something you need in your skin you need to adapt the code and also keep backwards compatibility in mind.

Like all these discussions, it should be solved by adressing the root cause (the incorrect design), not by hacking the existing code and make it even worse.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)