Vu+ 4K Multiboot

• Please log in to reply
592 replies to this topic

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #421 babsy98

• 166 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 23 May 2023 - 15:19

in openATV I have not enabled the USB slots either because simply the file system on the USB stick quickly generates errors, depending on the quality of the USB stick, so I use that only in emmc and have no problems, I had understood that users use USB slots, is it, so ?

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #422 rantanplan

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,846 posts

+83
Good

Posted 23 May 2023 - 15:33

in openATV I have not enabled the USB slots either because simply the file system on the USB stick quickly generates errors, depending on the quality of the USB stick, so I use that only in emmc and have no problems, I had understood that users use USB slots, is it, so ?

No, USB is only used as a medium for external data carriers.
The assumption was made that this usage would have caused the problem.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #423 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,589 posts

+160
Excellent

Posted 23 May 2023 - 15:50

@ WanWizard

If we can't design it carefully, then it's better not to put it in the image via kernel manipulation at the moment.

Again, I don't have this VU+.
But such a blue screen with the background that the Kexec itself as a preloading file can also be destroyed could lead to a flash loss also via USB can not be in the sense of an image.

Somehow I feel so frighteningly alone and I know that the sf4008 offers just such catastrophes.

That's the end of the receiver, just because of a 'gimmick'

So you are commenting on a failure that hasn't ever happened? And you can't test it because you don't have the hardware? And, BTW, any file could get corrupt and stop the box.

Kexec multiboot has been in OpenViX, and OpenBh public images since February without a single user reporting a lock up. Some displays show a blue screen for a few seconds after the splash screen but no side effects reported.

If you want a more conventional implementation you better get on to Vu+ like we did several years ago, but after discussing with them nothing was ever implemented, so good luck with that.

I don't understand your attacks against me.

if they have a destroyed box afterwards and you say that this was not tested at all.

No one is attacking anyone. I am just responding to what you posted.

Please explain how using kexec could destroy a box. All it does is stop one kernel and start another. Nothing permanent or that touches the boot loader. At the very worst, if something got corrupt you could just reflash same as with any image.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #424 dpeddi

• 41 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 23 May 2023 - 16:17

@ WanWizard

If we can't design it carefully, then it's better not to put it in the image via kernel manipulation at the moment.

Kernel manipulation?!

Please take some time to read the documentation I wrote and stop making weird assumptions: https://github.com/B...kexec-multiboot

@ WanWizard

But such a blue screen with the background that the Kexec itself as a preloading file can also be destroyed could lead to a flash loss also via USB can not be in the sense of an image.

Why? This demostrate that you didn't understood the solution.

Bootloader --> kernel+intramfs --> kexec --> kernel(guest) + intramfs --> Image

The risk of flash loss is the same then running an image.

From my point of view OpenMultiBoot (OMB) is more dangerous since it rewrite the kernel partition on every image switch so it stress the same block of the flash every time.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #425 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,933 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 23 May 2023 - 16:44

As far I can see you always can restore the box with flashing a new image via USB via the bootloader that stay untouched…. But while doing so you will lost all the programmed slots. So there is as far I can see no way to brick a vu+ box.

I understood our solution now has a patched binary modified kernel without patch. It would be much better to get the real patch/change as source and no binary. Maybe I make a mistake here, as I’m also somehow lost….

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #426 dpeddi

• 41 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 23 May 2023 - 17:55

As far I can see you always can restore the box with flashing a new image via USB via the bootloader that stay untouched…. But while doing so you will lost all the programmed slots. So there is as far I can see no way to brick a vu+ box.

I understood our solution now has a patched binary modified kernel without patch. It would be much better to get the real patch/change as source and no binary. Maybe I make a mistake here, as I’m also somehow lost….

https://github.com/B...kexec-multiboot

These are the source. Feel free to include in your bsp

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #427 rantanplan

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,846 posts

+83
Good

Posted 23 May 2023 - 18:17

@ WanWizard

Kernel manipulation?!

Please take some time to read the documentation I wrote and stop making weird assumptions: https://github.com/B...kexec-multiboot

@ WanWizard

From my point of view OpenMultiBoot (OMB) is more dangerous since it rewrite the kernel partition on every image switch so it stress the same block of the flash every time.

An 'OpenMultiboot' has never received a recommendation from me or anyone who should test images.

Of course we agree on that.

We stay with the kexec and the only question that needs to be clarified....

Against the background of the kernel being changed in this way...
And you and Ev0 yourself spoke of possible problems regarding timing and USB in connection with the error pattern described...

Is it possible to rule out that the user only sees a 'Kexec blue screen' and that the USB ports may no longer respond?

What I mean exactly would be a starting Kexec from Flash and then nothing happens.
And under certain circumstances, the USB slots are no longer accessible because of this problem.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #428 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,933 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 23 May 2023 - 18:19

These are the source. Feel free to include in your bsp

->
it is not our bsp as it is Vu’s bps.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #429 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,589 posts

+160
Excellent

Posted 23 May 2023 - 20:38

@ WanWizard

Kernel manipulation?!

@ WanWizard

An 'OpenMultiboot' has never received a recommendation from me or anyone who should test images.

Of course we agree on that.

We stay with the kexec and the only question that needs to be clarified....

Against the background of the kernel being changed in this way...
And you and Ev0 yourself spoke of possible problems regarding timing and USB in connection with the error pattern described...

Is it possible to rule out that the user only sees a 'Kexec blue screen' and that the USB ports may no longer respond?

What I mean exactly would be a starting Kexec from Flash and then nothing happens.
And under certain circumstances, the USB slots are no longer accessible because of this problem.

If USB is not accessible it will boot to recovery.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #430 rantanplan

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,846 posts

+83
Good

Posted 23 May 2023 - 21:52

We're going in circles and that's not going to work.
I probably just don't get it, or I'm not able to make it clear.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #431 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,486 posts

+63
Good

Posted 23 May 2023 - 22:38

We know that there are no partitions created on the internal flash memory, directories are created. There was no straight forward answer as to whether they are fixed or dynamic sizes. There is no recovery partition,  there is no recovery image. Some image teams advocate not using the main (nigel) image so that you can always have a failsafe image. Other teams counter this idea and say to use it.

One of the other teams had a way to partition the flash memory. This has been discounted. And everybody seems to agree that Vu are not going to do anything either. 

Nobody is forced to use Kexec multiboot. So the people who don't want to use it can continue to use the receiver as they would normally do. Hopefully the ones who do, will get clear and concise information. If it goes belly up, flash by USB. 

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #432 neo

• PLi® Contributor
  • 715 posts

+48
Good

Posted 24 May 2023 - 10:55

Directories are directories, there is no quota management, therefore they are dynamic in size.

Whether or not you need a failsafe image in slot 0 depends on how you use the box, i.e. can you afford it to go belly up?

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #433 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,852 posts

+1,781
Excellent

Posted 24 May 2023 - 11:10

On my Solo 4K, I have a develop build in slot 0 and slot 1. I'm using slot 1 on a daily basis, both for watching TV and and for testing.

I use slot 0 simply to be back up and running quicker then when I need to flash from USB + restore + autoinstall. For me a big improvement.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Ultimate (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #434 Frenske

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 27,450 posts

+397
Excellent

Posted 24 May 2023 - 11:56

I use slot 0 simply to be back up and running quicker then when I need to flash from USB + restore + autoinstall. For me a big improvement.

Exactly this is the way I use it too. Especially when the NB caused issues the last days. Eventually I went back to slot 0 and so the Mrs. is happy again.  ;)

Mijn schotel is een T90 met 10 LNB's. Daarnaast voor de fun nog een draaibaar systeem met een Triax TD 78.

Dreamboxen heb ik niet meer echt actief. Verder heb ik ook nog een een VU+ duo2 met 500Gb harddisk + een VU+ Uno, Zero, Solo 4K, Ultimo 4K, Zero 4K, Uno 4Kse. + ook nog een Xtrend ET7x00. Daarnaast heb ik ook nog diverse andere modellen w.o. een Formuler F4, ET8500, ET7500, Mut@nt 2400HD, Xsarius Fusion HD se en verder nog wel het e.e.a. waarmee op verzoek vanalles wordt getest. Iemand moet het tenslotte doen. ;) :)
Los van de eerder genoemde modellen heb ik nog wel een rits aan testsamples als Mut@nt 2400HD, HD60, GB UE4K, GB Trio4K, Maxitec Multibox combo en Twin, Octagon sf8008, sf8008 mini en last but nog least enkele modellen van het Grieks Duitse Edision.

Voor centrale opslag van media gebruik ik een Qnap 219P 
met tweemaal 2 Tb harddisks + een Synology DS414 met 12 Tb Totale opslag.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: Just one click away from this "solutioncentre".

Als ik alles al wist hoefde ik ook niets te vragen. If I had all the knowledge I had no questions at all.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #435 cobus

• 4,767 posts

+69
Good

Posted 24 May 2023 - 15:09

Exactly this is the way I use it too. Especially when the NB caused issues the last days. Eventually I went back to slot 0 and so the Mrs. is happy again.  ;)

Here Idem ;)

Groetjes Cobus R

VU+ UNO 4K SE FBC DVB-C (8x)

MUTANT HD66SE FBC DVB-C (3x)

MAXYTEC MULTIBOX COMBO

MUTANT HD60 DVB-S

Ziggo (digitaal) Kabel TV (FTV) op alle decoders met oa fallback tuner

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #436 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,148 posts

+261
Excellent

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:03

Hi,

I just test the multiboot and it is working fine on my Solo 4K and on my Duo 4K.

Can you please tell me where are the slot 1 to 3 created?

For people willing to test, you don't lose your current image which will be the one in slot 0.

But one remark, it is no longer possible to use online flash to flash slot 0, so I guess that it is normal and by design.

Thanks,

Pr2

Edited by Pr2, 28 May 2023 - 15:08.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #437 twol

• 447 posts

+15
Neutral

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:51

Hi,

I just test the multiboot and it is working fine on my Solo 4K and on my Duo 4K.

For people willing to test, you don't lose your current image which will be the one in slot 0.

But one remark, it is no longer possible to use online flash to flash slot 0, so I guess that it is normal and by design.

Thanks,

Pr2

Unable to flash Slot 0  - if that is correct then that is OpenPli, with the original code you can flash  slot 0.

Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
.........FBC Tuners:
------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
.........DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W)

Octagon sf8008, AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo using Legacy ports on multiswitches
Zgemma H9twin & Zgemma H9 C/S mode into Giga4K

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #438 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,589 posts

+160
Excellent

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:15

Hi,

Thanks,

Pr2

You should be able to flash slot 0 unless someone has broken something. There seem to have been a large number of commits to FlashImage.py lately.

Edited by Huevos, 28 May 2023 - 16:18.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #439 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,148 posts

+261
Excellent

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:33

OK here is how I proceed:

- I had OpenPLi Nightly Build in both box

- I go into Flash Image and  use the initialize button to enable multiboot

- it took a few minutes and reboot the box

- MultiBoot was enabled

- I flash OpenPli nighty build into slot 1

- Restart on slot 1.

- Auto-install does the job

So today I have slot 0 and slot 1 with the same image.

I am now running the box with image in slot 1.

Image is up to date.

I go into flash image and here are the possible options.

Attached File  FlashImage.jpg   140.42KB   2 downloads

As you can see I am running now the image in slot 1, and I have no option to flash to slot 0.

Info: screenshot taken on the Solo 4K

To be sure I boot to slot 0 and check the Flash Image and there is no option to flash slot 0 neither.

Edited by Pr2, 28 May 2023 - 16:38.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #440 Ev0

• 102 posts

+7
Neutral

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:36

OK here is how I proceed:

- I had OpenPLi Nightly Build in both box

- I go into Flash Image and  use the initialize button to enable multiboot

- it took a few minutes and reboot the box

- MultiBoot was enabled

- I flash OpenPli nighty build into slot 1

- Restart on slot 1.

- Auto-install does the job

So today I have slot 0 and slot 1 with the same image.

I am now running the box with image in slot 1.

Image is up to date.

I go into flash image and here are the possible options.

attachicon.gif FlashImage.jpg

As you can see I am running now the image in slot 1, and I have no option to flash to slot 0.

Boot Slot 0, then see if you have the option

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users