• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

Re: i have a question #41 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,333 posts

+46
Good

Posted 14 December 2023 - 11:50

Indeed I remember now we did resize the font when we select more or less channels in the service list. Sounds like the OE-A version had less things inside than we had before. Except for the pre-portion (second line needs less room). We also had the extra look with now/next. Indeed the channel selection list stuff might need some repair. We had two two-line modes....

OE-A doesnt have less. Just that font scaling is user options. So user can decide how much to scale the fonts.

Vu+DUO4KSE, DM920UHD, Vu+Uno4KSE, SF8008Mini, Vu+Solo2, Dreambox DM500HD, Triax 78 (7E,9E,13E,19.2E,23.5E) & Triax 78 (39E)

Re: i have a question #42 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 14 December 2023 - 11:55

OE-A was always master in adding configs instead of trying to avoid them as much as possible.. (LOL)

Sounds now we need to also add a config...

Sounds that OE-A now also needs to add a second two row view...

Edited by littlesat, 14 December 2023 - 12:02.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: i have a question #43 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,333 posts

+46
Good

Posted 14 December 2023 - 11:56

And do you think this is a normal answer?

Which part? Are you not agree adding too much user options lead to spaghetti code?

Or you not agree that making understandable code comes with losses? 

Or you not agree that there should be an evolution?

Every evolution have its price. You have to decide what is useful and what is not.

So i dont understand your question...

Maybe you can give me a suitable reason why user should move the progressbar on the right?

In that i find no meaning....

The only thing that is missing is maybe instead of time remaining to show percentage....

Vu+DUO4KSE, DM920UHD, Vu+Uno4KSE, SF8008Mini, Vu+Solo2, Dreambox DM500HD, Triax 78 (7E,9E,13E,19.2E,23.5E) & Triax 78 (39E)

Re: i have a question #44 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,023 posts

+338
Excellent

Posted 14 December 2023 - 12:00

Maybe you can give me a suitable reason why user should move the progressbar on the right?

If this is no longer the case, then why is there such a setting?

GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Solo 4K

Re: i have a question #45 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,333 posts

+46
Good

Posted 14 December 2023 - 12:03

OE-A was always master in adding configs instead of trying to avoid them as much as possible.. (LOL)

Sounds now we need to add a config now...

But here are double standards for that seems ;) ....

@Dimitrij complaining about some user options doesnt work and now it is in the skin but actually PLi doesnt want user options...  So i am a bit confused....

In general user option give more flexibility to the user instead of hardcoded one. But have to be decided which options are really needed and which not.

Re: i have a question #46 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,333 posts

+46
Good

Posted 14 December 2023 - 12:05

If this is no longer the case, then why is there such a setting?

OK i agree that have to be removed or stripped down to supported options....

But that was not the original complain isnt it?

Re: i have a question #47 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,023 posts

+338
Excellent

Posted 14 December 2023 - 12:09

In general user option give more flexibility to the user instead of hardcoded one. But have to be decided which options are really needed and which not.

Which user are you talking about?
It should be automatic for it with a certain choice of settings (as it was before), the rest is decided by the author of the skins.

Re: i have a question #48 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,333 posts

+46
Good

Posted 14 December 2023 - 12:12

And who decide that automatic change how to work? You force the user to your own logic.

With user options it generally user can do what is his personal preference and not stick to someone else logic.

However if you dont want spaghetti code then the user should not be allowed to specify thousands of options, but limited to really useful one.

Edited by DimitarCC, 14 December 2023 - 12:18.

Re: i have a question #49 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,247 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 14 December 2023 - 12:14

Sounds now we need to also add a config...

Sounds that OE-A now also needs to add a second two row view...

Why do you want a next view in the channel list items. What added value is that?

Re: i have a question #50 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,333 posts

+46
Good

Posted 14 December 2023 - 12:26

I think a balance have to be made between user options and hardcoded logic so user to have some choices and at same time to keep code understandable.

Edited by DimitarCC, 14 December 2023 - 12:28.

Re: i have a question #51 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,023 posts

+338
Excellent

Posted 14 December 2023 - 13:32

spaghetti code

Why are you attached to this word?

Personally, I figured out this code when I needed to add two new options (two lines/two lines+next event).

I did not change the default option, citing that this is an evolution or who needs it, but only added new options.

Now, at the request of my friend, who updated his image and received a negative effect

littlesat

Indeed I remember now we did resize the font when we select more or less channels in the service list

Re: i have a question #52 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,333 posts

+46
Good

Posted 14 December 2023 - 14:36

Its your decision. If you want revert the code and return the before behavior.

I understand that this is yours code and now you dont like it is changed....

Maybe i would react the same but at least i will think of pros and cons of such a change first.

Ofcource everything is subjective. You dont like it, probably i didnt like your code and vice-versa....

So if the whole PLi team decide to revert this instead to extend it i will not be angry about it...

It will be your (PLi) loss.

The whole problem here is discussions are not constructive at all. Just complains and complains.

OK you dont like the code...Then propose a constructive change that will fix all problem and will be understandable for all developers involved... (I have proposed my vision for this and it were accepted)

So far i didnt see such.

Dont get me wrong. I dont want to offend anyone, but i refuse to deal with somebody's ego here...

Besides we all want to help. Our purpose is not to break things, but to make them better. Unfortunately all we get is unwillingness things to be done or to be evolved. Some people are stuck in the past and dont want any change.

I agree with compromises but all that is on good fate since everybody here say no time to do something. So we (external developers) try to fill the gaps. But if that is not OK well we will just not do it.

I already have some reserves about further changes...so we will see how it will goes...

The truth is before my change nobody bothered to fix the c++ code regarding the stream relay or even other c++ changes was minimal, but it was advertised that the things have to be done in right way in c++.

Why you didnt fix the stream relay long time ago? probably because no one wants to mess with the c++ code right now. (or not have time?!)

And when i dove in the code and start changing it somebody is not happy. Besides when you not like some feature you discuss and complain in private threads instead to point your arguments here. Well not correct behavior is that.

So feel free to propose a revert.

Now, at the request of my friend, who updated his image and received a negative effect 

P.S. Your friend is installing a development image if he didnt want to get uncomplete features just not have to install development images.

Edited by DimitarCC, 14 December 2023 - 14:44.

Re: i have a question #53 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 14 December 2023 - 15:28

Why do you want a next view in the channel list items. What added value is that?

This was originally the idea when it was initiated... that you had now and next...

As soon VIX did fork from OpenPLi due to Andy was at that time did not agree pieterg did not accept his timeshift plugin stuff that he glued with his image, a for was born... asking for differences.

And now instead of working together we have discussions about the differences and both of us are 'defend' their differences... This is not helpfull... Thanks to something happens years and years ago. And so with each opensource project with forks due to fights... this is never helpfull... this is asking for hell...

I can understand Dimitrij is furious that his features from that time are patched out... and believe me that extra view did had added value and was something Vix did not had... just like a 3rd 2nd infobar.... That is what happened with forking... A fork gets a second life.

We had the now/next two line view that is removed now and you had a user configurable auto or not auto character size... and something regarding the progress bar position was moved out. When we 'glued' the stuff then we should agree... and not start a war... And the easiest thing is adapt from both sides to what each size things is mandatory.

So please add the now/next view, make the progress bar configurable as it was, and add the config for the character size...

And I'm lazy now here because I do not have an environment now to do changes in c++ code... so for short term I depend on others...

Edited by littlesat, 14 December 2023 - 15:34.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: i have a question #54 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,441 posts

+62
Good

Posted 14 December 2023 - 15:55

IMO, it would be a good idea for all DimitarCC skin posts to be moved to the existing thread. https://forums.openp...li-darkos-skin/

Not ideal having two concurrent threads

And maybe close this thread "I have a a question".

Edited by Abu Baniaz, 14 December 2023 - 15:58.

Re: i have a question #55 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,023 posts

+338
Excellent

Posted 14 December 2023 - 17:18

So feel free to propose a revert.

I'm not suggesting that everything be returned.

Continue on, but consider our wishes.

That’s why I didn’t want to interfere at all, understanding that it would 100% end in mutual accusations.

But I'll explain it again...

Yesterday my friend called and complained that he updated his image (accidentally) and now the list of channels is different.

His wife asks him to fix everything.

Problem:

Skin PLiFullHD

"Number of channels shown in channel selection list"(config.usage.servicelist_number_of_services_)  set 10.

But the font does not increase in the required proportions; before your changes it looked completely different(the font was larger).

Can this be fixed somehow?

If not, then no.

Re: i have a question #56 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,023 posts

+338
Excellent

Posted 14 December 2023 - 17:41

config.usage.servicenum_fontsize = ConfigSelectionNumber(default=0, stepwidth=1, min=-8, max=10, wraparound=True)
	config.usage.servicename_fontsize = ConfigSelectionNumber(default=0, stepwidth=1, min=-8, max=10, wraparound=True)
	config.usage.serviceinfo_fontsize = ConfigSelectionNumber(default=0, stepwidth=1, min=-8, max=10, wraparound=True)

Where is this configured (I couldn’t find it)?

Maybe the solution is here?

Re: i have a question #57 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,333 posts

+46
Good

Posted 14 December 2023 - 17:59

config.usage.servicenum_fontsize = ConfigSelectionNumber(default=0, stepwidth=1, min=-8, max=10, wraparound=True)
	config.usage.servicename_fontsize = ConfigSelectionNumber(default=0, stepwidth=1, min=-8, max=10, wraparound=True)
	config.usage.serviceinfo_fontsize = ConfigSelectionNumber(default=0, stepwidth=1, min=-8, max=10, wraparound=True)

Where is this configured (I couldn’t find it)?

Maybe the solution is here?

Yes that config option are meant to allow the user to control the font by his wishes. They are present and in use in OE-A.

But currently the config entries definition are there but they are not in the UI.

Simply adding them in UI (Channel list config) will allow your friend to make the text font size like he like it by relatively changing the size depending on the skin defined font, So if he choose -2 and fontsize by skin is 28 the new font will be 26 ;)

That i wrote in the before posts - that this options are there in the code but not in the UI in PLi.

So just add them. :)

Edited by DimitarCC, 14 December 2023 - 18:00.

Re: i have a question #58 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,333 posts

+46
Good

Posted 14 December 2023 - 18:11

So i didnt mean to start a war... But some features are obsolete with the new design and can not simply add them back.

On the other hand i agree a compromises have to be done.

So please add the now/next view, make the progress bar configurable as it was, and add the config for the character size...

So some notes:

1. now/next view - i asked before in this thread what is the idea of next view? To display next event instead of now event? But nobody answered me. So i didnt do nothing about it.

2.Configurable progress bar - with the new design the progressbar can not be on the right never since there is no place there. There is displayed remaining time. So how to put it on the right? It can not be as it was....

3.Configs for character size - i wanted to add them before but as you said PLi doesnt like configs and i didnt add them in the UI. Its not a problem i can add them

And I'm lazy now here because I do not have an environment now to do changes in c++ code... so for short term I depend on others...

I understand but please note that for me is also not easy to work with separate pull requests for every single little change. That is so much time consuming. Time that i not always have.

Edited by DimitarCC, 14 December 2023 - 18:11.

Re: i have a question #59 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 14 December 2023 - 18:12

Should I wait for a merge request...? Please note OpenPLi initially tried to find an automatic way to resize the font.... much easier then change 3 parameters :) I hope you understand... better to have when you do defined by skin seeing nothing, then when you select a number also have these three... but also have an option 'auto' there for them what we had.

And indeed the now/next look should somehow be back in...

Re: i have a question #60 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,333 posts

+46
Good

Posted 14 December 2023 - 18:15

Should I wait for a merge request...? Please note OpenPLi initially tried to find an automatic way to resize the font.... much easier then change 3 parameters :) I hope you understand... better to have when you do defined by skin seeing nothing, then when you select a number also have these three... but also have an option 'auto' there for them what we had.

That auto option have to be agreed to be added in OE-A however, otherwise no chance to do code sharing.

And indeed the now/next look should somehow be back in...

Still dont know how that should work...Do someone will answer me is the purpose of next view is to display NEXT event INSTEAD of NOW event?

I can understand Dimitrij is furious that his features from that time are patched out... and believe me that extra view did had added value and was something Vix did not had... just like a 3rd 2nd infobar.... That is what happened with forking... A fork gets a second life.

ViX had that two line mode with next event..We removed it and nobody complained. So it stayed removed.

Also ViX had 3rd second infobar but not by hotkey and only by config. So there is different implementations and not chance to do code sharing if both sides not agree. 

Edited by DimitarCC, 14 December 2023 - 18:22.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users