• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Re: OpenPli latest!!! #41 robertut

• 347 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2010 - 16:36

Thanks. So back to the original thougt:

If PLi team doesn't want to support clone boxes, that'sfine - however if someone wants to use an OpenPLi image with adifferent bootloader, why not, on his/her own responsibility. It should be, naturally, pointed out, that no support is given from the team for such modifications.

Does thiscause a problem on the PLi team? Hope not...

Will the posts describing how to replace a bootloader in a NFI image be deleted?

Re: OpenPli latest!!! #42 Roodkapke

• 5,782 posts

+29
Good

Posted 2 February 2010 - 16:51

As said before,
We don't want to be involved with clones.
So yes, such posts will be deleted.

Re: OpenPli latest!!! #43 CescoAiel

• 213 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2010 - 16:55

Thirdly if we promote clones, it will remove income from Dream MultiMedia. No income for DMM = no developers = no new DBs.

The third reason is the primary reason the PLi team cares about not supporting clones!

Don't jump to conclusions.
We do have to pay for our hardware too.
Gifts are rare, sometimes a manufacturer gives us a discount.
But for free, no way.

So don't create rumors that PLi-members get "sponsored" by DMM or any other manufacturer.
It's simply not true.

With a bit of effort - once taken out of context - you *could* read it that way, I guess, but it certainly is NOT what I was *saying*!

We were talking about DMM not having income, and not about the PLi team getting sponsored...
When taken in the context, it is obvious this is about DMM's developers and designers, not the PLi team!

Re: OpenPli latest!!! #44 robertut

• 347 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2010 - 20:56

As said before,
We don't want to be involved with clones.
So yes, such posts will be deleted.

Thank you, fair enough. At least we didn't waste time and work to post a HowTo, wich would have been deleted anyway.

Re: OpenPli latest!!! #45 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 2 February 2010 - 21:18

I'd like to add one thing:

Posting bootloaders etcetera is not that wrong itself. However, we can be held responsible for all postings here and the support we give. Same applies for external card sharing for example. I really don't care if someone has an external share. "I" refers to myself, not to me as a PLi member. Still we (as team) can be held responsible for such discussions. To make the rules easy, we make an easy and understandable position here on the forum: not allowed.

But there's also a technical reason: clones often just work a bit other than the original boxes. Nobody in our team has clone boxes (why should we), thus we never tested it on such a box. It costs us too much time finding bugs we cannot reproduce. A real example: it took a long time before we understood audio/video sync problems only appeared on the DM500 clones, not on the originals.

Hope this post makes clear why we have these positions. For the reasons above it's better to take a position instead of doing nothing.
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: http://openpli.org/wiki

Re: OpenPli latest!!! #46 Roodkapke

• 5,782 posts

+29
Good

Posted 4 February 2010 - 22:20

Then i have misread and misunderstood it, no offence intended.

Re: OpenPli latest!!! #47 CescoAiel

• 213 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 4 February 2010 - 22:38

Then i have misread and misunderstood it, no offence intended.

If this is in reply to me: No offence taken! We're all here for that one great hobby we share! ;)

And if my response was perhaps a bit strong, then I'd like to apologize for that too!

Re: OpenPli latest!!! #48 Curious123

• 87 posts

Neutral

Posted 7 February 2010 - 23:58

Hey Curious123, have you made sure the "type" setting is type 2? In tools menu there is a toggle type at the end and when you click it the type setting (shown at the bottom, in the status boxes) changes. DM600 needs type 2.

Alternatively, try openDBedit 3.0 which is basically open source version of dreamboxedit except with some minor bug fixes. Not sure if bouquets are cross compatible between the 2 versions (so you may have to FTP bouquets from DM600 and edit them all over again :S ) but might as well try.

I don't think this is a problem with the image, just a settings problem or bug with dreamboxedit. Can you confirm if the other problems i mentioned earlier are on your genuine box?

The latest build of 5/2/2010 is working fine for me in allrespects.

Re: OpenPli latest!!! #49 x9WznH6C9Vx#^9Jn

• Validating
  • 11 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 26 April 2010 - 20:39

Hi All,

I'm not wishing to kick of the debate about whether clones are supported here, the forum moderators have been quite clear about that, but

I'm pretty sure I ended up purchasing a clone 600PVR from Amazon due to the cheap price. However, I'm running the latest OpenPli on it with no issues whatsoever. I've checked the mac address of my NIC within the db and it correctly starts 00:09:34.... I've heard there is a plugin to download to help verify your box but I've struggled to see where/how I can install it.

Are there any others happily running OpenPli on a clone or could it be I've purchased an original unit?

Re: OpenPli latest!!! #50 nfnovice

• 696 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:57

if you downloaded the openpli image from here and flashed and it worked then my guess jasmart is you accidentally bought a original dreambox.

I have seen two totally different dm600 clones and neither will run openpli as downloaded from here.

I have however seen modded openpli images that can run on these clone dm600 's
so if you got the box already flashed it may be a modded image...
DM800+DM7025+DM7020+DM7000+DM600+DM5620+DM500+VUDUO Dreambox great invention - whats it for ?

Re: OpenPli latest!!! #51 georgep

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:08

I've heard there is a plugin to download to help verify your box but I've struggled to see where/how I can install it.

You need to flash your box with a recent 'genuine' image from the dream-multimedia-tv website; you will then see an option in the menu which generates an authentication code.

You type this code into a page on the dream-multimedia site which then confirms (or not!) that you have a genuine box.

It seems you can get both genuine and clone DM600 boxes from Amazon (UK) sellers .. the price says it all!

Hope that helps!
George

Re: OpenPli latest!!! #52 x9WznH6C9Vx#^9Jn

• Validating
  • 11 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 27 April 2010 - 19:45

thanks for the comments guys.

I couldn't tell you which image was originally on it as I got fed up with the remote not responding when trying to get the initial satellite scan done. I thought it must be a corrupt image issue so flashed it within an hour with the OpenPli one. So, yes the image was downloaded from here and installed by myself. Only paid £99 for the box delivered so that really does indicate a clone???

And for anyone that's interested, even after flashing the remote only responded to around one press in ten so it turned out not to be the image causing it. I ended up downloading a remote code set and programming my custom remote control with it. Works perfectly from that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DM600

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users