• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 ziada

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:42

Hi,
I'm really in a big network problem with DM500,
and though I'm a communication engineer, but I thought this problem needs a DM expertise like you rather than a simple guy like me.

First :
Here is the problem :
I'm using OpenPLi v.91, and it's more or less the same as previous ones, but I like to be up to date.
Everything goes alright for a while, till suddenly DM start to hang every time I try to send many orders at once with the remote.
So, I thought that is a bug in this version, and hence I'll upgrade to ver. 100.
After I install ver. 100, and set my network properties to be as usual, I can't access to Internet (PLi server, LuxSat server) but for my surprise I installed "MGCamd 1.31" manually and send my sharing account file, the sharing works fine.
And also I astonished when I succeeded to ping to "Yahoo!" or "PLi site" through telnet to DM.

Second : Here is what I did ...
[list=1]
[*]I installed another image rather that PLi -> the same situation occurred.
[*]I changed DM MAC address.-> the same situation occurred.
[*]I changed DM IP.-> the same situation occurred.
[*]I reset the router.-> the same situation occurred.
[*]I updated router firmware.-> the same situation occurred.
[*]I flashed the DM with an erase image.-> the same situation occurred.
[*]I installed different images with "Flashwizard" or "Universal DreamUP".-> the same situation occurred.
[*]I changed my open DNS on DM from "8.8.8.8 - Google DNS" to the ones that ISP provided.-> the same situation occurred.
[*]Lastly : I return to my backup with "OpenPLi ver. 91" and ..... Sharing works fine but no Internet connection to download any plugins from PLi server.
[/list]

Thanks,
+--------+
| Ziada |
+--------+

Re: Network problem #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,716 posts

+1,741
Excellent

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:02

Standard debug procedure:

Telnet to the box and check:
- with 'ifconfig eth0' if your box has an IP address, and if it is the correct one
- with 'route -n' what your default gateway is (the 0.0.0.0 route), and that you can ping it
- with 'cat /var/etc/resolv.conf' if a nameserver is configured, and if this is the right one, and that you can ping it.
- with 'nslookup www.google.com' to check if your name resolution works
- with 'ping 66.102.13.104' (a Google address) if you have internet connectivity
- with 'ping www.google.com' if all the above works as it should

Where does it go wrong?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Network problem #3 ziada

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:10

Thank you very much for your quick response,
I'll give these a try any come back to you ...
Thanks again.
Thanks,
+--------+
| Ziada |
+--------+

Re: Network problem #4 ziada

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 29 March 2010 - 15:08

Here is my results :
[list=1]
[*]"ifconfig" -> The interface "eth0" has the right MAC and IP.
[*]"route -n" -> route "0.0.0.0" out on the default gateway (router IP), and I can ping it.
[*]'cat /var/etc/resolv.conf' -> I use your provided open DNS "208.67.222.222" and it's configured correctly, and I can ping to it.
[*] 'nslookup www.google.com' -> I think in MV version of PLi there is no "nslookup', I didn't find it, instead I ping to "www.google.com" and it replied successfully.
[*]"ping 66.102.13.104" -> I already check that with DNS, and also this is done successfully.
[*]'ping www.google.com' -> I have done that already.
[/list]
Thanks,
+--------+
| Ziada |
+--------+

Re: Network problem #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,716 posts

+1,741
Excellent

Posted 29 March 2010 - 16:32

Then there is nothing wrong with your image and your setup.

So what is your definition of "I can't access internet"? Because you just explained that you can...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Network problem #6 ziada

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 29 March 2010 - 19:04

O.K., and that is why I hit my head by the wall !!!
When I try to download any new "plugins" or "software updates" via Internet using PLi menus, I got a long waiting progress bar on 0 progress and at final I got the message "Download failed. Please check available space and your communication settings".
I don't know what is going on ...
Please don't leave me alone, you are my lifeline.
Thanks,
+--------+
| Ziada |
+--------+

Re: Network problem #7 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,716 posts

+1,741
Excellent

Posted 29 March 2010 - 19:30

Do you have an upstream proxy by any chance? We had some issues with non-compliant proxies (that convert HTTP/1.1 requests into HTTP/1.0 requests) in the past.

Could you PM me the public IP of your box, so I can check the logs of the download servers for activity?

edit: from your IP, I can see perfect downloads in the log, so I don't know where things go wrong:

[29/Mar/2010:19:59:17 +0200] "GET /openpli/plugins/bitrateviewer_1.4.tar.gz HTTP/1.0" 200 11218 "-" "PLi-download/1.0.0

Re: Network problem #8 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 29 March 2010 - 19:35

Try things like "Latest PLi news" (is also in Software Management). Does that work?
And please post the file /var/etc/software.xml here.
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: http://openpli.org/wiki

Re: Network problem #9 ziada

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 29 March 2010 - 20:09

To be honest with you ...
I adore PLi image ... but I'm also a human..
So, I decided a while ago to give Gemini image a try ...
I'm now talking with you while my box running on Gemini v.4.7
and as I expected, the same situation occurred :
[list]
[*]MgCamd is working perfectly.
[*]Download server is not accessible due to lost Internet connection.
[*]In telnet, everything go alright I can ping, and "nslookup" get the right IPs for google and yahoo.[/list]

So, it's not a software issue, I start thinking about a blocked port used to download rather than the port used by MgCamd or Telnet.
By the way, I put usually my box IP in DMZ in my ADSL router settings.
But, is there a specific port used to download from Internet ? If it's I'll put it individually in port forwarding settings.
Or (as another approach) , Is there ,in DM 500, a specific area of memory that is not affected by moving from an image to another ? If there is, what are the settings stored there and how can I change such settings ?
Last thing I'll try, I'll sniff on my switch using Wireshark to get what the box sends ?

Thanks,
+--------+
| Ziada |
+--------+

Re: Network problem #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,716 posts

+1,741
Excellent

Posted 29 March 2010 - 20:50

What happens if you login with telnet, and you type:
cd /tmp
wget http://downloads.pli-images.org/openpli/plugins/bitrateviewer_1.4.tar.gz
You can try that using your current image as well. I'm interested in any error messages...

Re: Network problem #11 ziada

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 30 March 2010 - 00:09

Now, I came back again to PLi after a total failure with Gemini as all other images did..
I tried your code above, and it says "Connecting to downloads.pli-images.org[94.75.199.4]:80"
and I wait... wait... wait.. a little bit more waiting
but nothing happened at last, just this message and nothing more.
What do you think ?!

Note: I ping to "downloads.pli-images.org" and it replies successfully.
Q: Is there a way to change port 80 to download ?
Thanks,
+--------+
| Ziada |
+--------+

Re: Network problem #12 CescoAiel

• 213 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:09

Given that port 80 is the default port for web site (HTTP) traffic: NOPE! (Or it'd break for the rest of the Internet surfers...)

But the fact you are able to visit the forums, indicates you are able to surf: Do you have to enter proxy information in to your browser to be able to browse the Internet from your PC?...

-- WaveFrontier T90 with LNBs on 13.0E, 19.2E, 23.5E & 28.2E, 17/12 dedicated GSO switch (Sharing the sat signal with the neigbours!)

-- Canal Digitaal DVB-S2[x]: 1x Vu+ Duo 4k (FBC Dual), 1x Xpeed LX S2 (dead-ish), 1x ET-9000 (unused and not updated for ages)

-- Ziggo DVB-C: 1x Vu+ Duo 4k (FBC)

Re: Network problem #13 ziada

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:46

Welcome ,"CescoAiel", to my wonderland...

No, I don't have a proxy in my network.

and as an update to my status :

Last night after I replied the great guy "WanWizard" I decided to rebuild my network from scratch...
[list]
[*]I downgraded firmware of my ADSL router to the previous version when the DM can access the Internet.
[*]I reset the router settings ti the factory settings.
[*]I reentered the settings for my ISP as a new setting.
[*]I changed the port on the router for my PC and DM.
[*]I re-flash my DM with a row version of PLi Jade 3.
[*]I tried to use different DNSs like : 8.8.8.8 - 4.2.2.4 - 208.67.222.222 - ISP provided DNS - ADSL router LAN IP.[/list]
After all ... nothing new in my situation.

Thanks.
Thanks,
+--------+
| Ziada |
+--------+

Re: Network problem #14 ziada

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:26

Please, Don't leave me...
/images/smiley/more_shocked/3.gif
I beg you .. any ideas will be useful ...
Thanks,
+--------+
| Ziada |
+--------+

Re: Network problem #15 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:28

Please, don't shout!

Re: Network problem #16 ziada

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:51

I didn't shout...
I just hang with whatever a small piece of hope.

Thanks,
+--------+
| Ziada |
+--------+

Re: Network problem #17 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,473 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:54

just use normal lettertypes and hights!

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: Network problem #18 ziada

• 55 posts

Neutral

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:22

This is not the problem.. please focus with me on my problem...
and if you have any idea, please tell me, because I ran out of ideas.
Thanks,
+--------+
| Ziada |
+--------+

Re: Network problem #19 hemispherical1

• 1,596 posts

+49
Good

Posted 30 March 2010 - 17:17

I don't know if anyone will have more ideas, as it makes no sense that from the you can successfully ping www.google.com, yet the DB refuses to connect to the software servers (and no proxy is involved).

Until you get it figured out, you could download the 500's software.xml to your PC ( http://downloads.pli...software.tar.gz ), it contains the URLs to all the available software. Download any software to your PC by replacing #RELEASE# with jade in the URLS, then FTP the package to the DB's /tmp directory and use Manual Install from the software management menu to install it....

--
hemi

Re: Network problem #20 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 30 March 2010 - 18:25

You said you've put your box in DMZ. Just remove that and use a "normal" connection from modem/router to your Dreambox. I suspect that's the problem.
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: http://openpli.org/wiki

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DM500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users