mount manager windows 8

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 fcs001fcs

• 244 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 11 May 2013 - 16:16

I do not think this is strictly an OpenPLi problem but I have tried everything I could and searched through the forums and web with no luck.

I have a DM800HD (Pli 2.1) and a DM7020HD (PLi 3.0) and I can setup mounts to share the HDDs between them, I can also see and access their HDDs with my Windows 8 Pro PC and access the files on the DMs.

I cannot get to setup a mount on either the DM800 or DM7020HD with Mount Manager to see a shared USB HDD on the Windows 8 PC.

If someone has figured this out could they post the procedure so I can fix this issue?

I assume it is a Windows 8 issue but I am at a loss on the settings to change to get this working.

I have shared (Everyone) an external USB drive in Windows 8 and have tried upper/lowercase entries in the DM mount manager.

Here is the entry from the automounts.xml but when I try and connect it freezes the DM800HD and I must power down to get the DM working again:

<cifs>

<mount>

<active>True</active>

<hdd_replacement>False</hdd_replacement>

<ip>192.168.x.xxx</ip>

<sharename>MainPC</sharename>

<sharedir>H_USB_External_HDD</sharedir>

<options>rw</options>

<username>XxXxxxXxxxxxxXX1</username>

<password>xxxxxxx</password>

</mount>

</cifs>

Any help would be welcome.

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #2 dirac

• 12 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:07

You can test the mount operation by the manual command ( via telnet):
-------
mkdir /media/net/pcHDD
mount -t cifs -o user=myW8name,password=myW8pwd //MainPC/H_USB_External_HDD /media/net/pcHDD
-------

dm8000-openPLI and ET10000-openPLi

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #3 fcs001fcs

• 244 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:01

You can test the mount operation by the manual command ( via telnet):
-------
mkdir /media/net/pcHDD
mount -t cifs -o user=myW8name,password=myW8pwd //MainPC/H_USB_External_HDD /media/net/pcHDD
-------

I get "mount: bad address 'MainPC'

If I use IP "192.168.x.xxx" in place of MainPC Telnet just hangs and I need to do Ctrl+C.

In "Network Browser" via the remote control I can see my IP listed and the server listed "192.168.x.xxx (MainPC)" but when I expand the line nothing displays.

BTW I have double check all the spellings of the server etc.

Also, does it matter if I use upper or lowercase for the mount command line? Password is all lowercase but the other info is a mix of both.

Any more ideas?

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,627 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:04

If "MainPC" can't be resolved, your DHCP server (your internet router?) doesn't do dynamic DNS, and you don't have a static DNS entry for it. Which means indeed you have to create the mount on IP address.

If you don't get any response, chances are your PC has a firewall active (I hope it does) which doesn't allow incoming connections to shares (which from a security point of view is a good idea). So you have to find your firewall settings, and allow incoming connections from the IP of your box.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #5 fcs001fcs

• 244 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 12 May 2013 - 13:38

If "MainPC" can't be resolved, your DHCP server (your internet router?) doesn't do dynamic DNS, and you don't have a static DNS entry for it. Which means indeed you have to create the mount on IP address.

If you don't get any response, chances are your PC has a firewall active (I hope it does) which doesn't allow incoming connections to shares (which from a security point of view is a good idea). So you have to find your firewall settings, and allow incoming connections from the IP of your box.

I turned off McAfee Firewall completely on Win 8 PC (disconnected frrom Internet first) tried IP address and Telnet froze (no errors or text, just curser). I let it go for about 10 minutes but no mount. Had to Ctrl+C to get back to prompt in Telnet.

Win8 User is an Admin user

commands used:

root@dm800:~# mkdir /media/net/pcHDD

root@dm800:~# mount -t cifs -o user=xxx,password=xxxxxxxxx //192.168.x.xxx/H_USB_External_HDD /media/net/pcHDD

Any other ideas?

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,627 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:40

You actually have a share called "H_USB_External_HDD"? Not very Windows like. And when you disabled the McAfee firewall, did the Windows built-in firewall not take over?

Do you have another PC available that you can try to see if the share is available at all?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #7 fcs001fcs

• 244 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 12 May 2013 - 20:52

You actually have a share called "H_USB_External_HDD"? Not very Windows like. And when you disabled the McAfee firewall, did the Windows built-in firewall not take over?

Do you have another PC available that you can try to see if the share is available at all?

Named the share myself; I know there is not too much imagination in the name. :)

When I disable the McAfee Firewall the Win8 Firewall stays disabled. Actually McAfee has options to turn the Firewall off for a set time 15, 30 45 mins etc.

I do have other Win8 PCs to test but they also showed the original problem but I did not check in detail. I will try to test sometime this week on a Win8 Laptop.

Thanks for the help and I will let you know the test results.

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #8 fcs001fcs

• 244 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 12 May 2013 - 21:19

Named the share myself; I know there is not too much imagination in the name. :)

When I disable the McAfee Firewall the Win8 Firewall stays disabled. Actually McAfee has options to turn the Firewall off for a set time 15, 30 45 mins etc.

I do have other Win8 PCs to test but they also showed the original problem but I did not check in detail. I will try to test sometime this week on a Win8 Laptop.

Thanks for the help and I will let you know the test results.

Had a chance to check quickly and with Firewall off on another Win8 PC it is excatly the same issue. Checked with both IP and Netbios Name.

I think it is a Win8 setting but have no idea where to look or what setting to change and with no errors reported back no idea where to start to look.

The Dreamboxes connect and share easly between them there respective HDDs and on the Win8 machines I can see and access the DM HDDs so I assume the Dreamboxes are setup OK. I just cannot setup (mount) the Win8 shares on the DMs.

Any more ideas?

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #9 dummer

• 55 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 12 May 2013 - 21:29

sorry you are having hassles..I had so many problems related to just this with windows 8 i went back to win 7 i was pulling my hair out with it.

I could do nothing with win 8 like flash smartphones or other devices or hookup to dreambox or get any sort of usb input to work correctly.

Microsoft just have not got everything fully supported in win 8 it was a waste of time trying to get anything to work it just would,nt.

went back to win 7 and happy days all round.maybe your only way out.

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #10 dirac

• 12 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:34

My PC is running under "Windows8 Professionel". I don't use the "groupe résidentiel" and all network utilities seems OK with DM8000, vuSolo2, PC/Ubuntu and macbook/OSX.
I export the directory share of the E: partition (filesystem : NTFS) with the share name "Share"
In text mode, the ACL are
----
E:\> icacls E:\share
E:\share PC-NAME\myW8name:(OI)(CI)(F)
BUILTIN\Administrateurs:(F)
BUILTIN\Administrateurs:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
AUTORITE NT\Systeme:(F)
AUTORITE NT\Systeme:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
1 fichiers correctement traite ; echec du traitement de 0 fichiers
----
and the network rights are given by (administrator mode)
---
E:\> net share Share
Nom du partage Share
Chemin d'acces: E:\share
Remarque
Max. Utils. Pas de limite
Utilisateurs
Mise en cache Mise en cache manuelle des documents
Autorisation BUILTIN\Administrateurs, FULL
Tout le monde, FULL
La commande s'est terminee correctement.
---
With these parameters, the mount command on the dm8000 and solo2 are OK.

Edited by dirac, 14 May 2013 - 07:38.

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #11 fcs001fcs

• 244 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 14 May 2013 - 14:55

My PC is running under "Windows8 Professionel". I don't use the "groupe résidentiel" and all network utilities seems OK with DM8000, vuSolo2, PC/Ubuntu and macbook/OSX.
I export the directory share of the E: partition (filesystem : NTFS) with the share name "Share"
In text mode, the ACL are
----

---
With these parameters, the mount command on the dm8000 and solo2 are OK.

Checked and setup as you have listed above but no luck. The DM800HD will still not mount the Win8 share with McAfee firewall off.

Any other ideas?

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #12 dirac

• 12 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 14 May 2013 - 15:31

sorry to be so basic :) 
1) Config panel THEN Network(?) THEN advanced parameters ( ? for personal translation from french panels)

- Activate Private Profil

- File sharing and printers sharing : ENABLED

2) windows file explorer : right click on shared directory THEN Properties THEN share THEN advanced THEN rights (or authorizations) THEN users THEN enabling Total Control, Modify and Read.

3) Can you read/write files on the shared directory from a remote computer (windows, linux, mac,...)?

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #13 fcs001fcs

• 244 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 14 May 2013 - 20:48

sorry to be so basic :) 
1) Config panel THEN Network(?) THEN advanced parameters ( ? for personal translation from french panels)

- Activate Private Profil

- File sharing and printers sharing : ENABLED

2) windows file explorer : right click on shared directory THEN Properties THEN share THEN advanced THEN rights (or authorizations) THEN users THEN enabling Total Control, Modify and Read.

3) Can you read/write files on the shared directory from a remote computer (windows, linux, mac,...)?

@dirac

Thanks, I had already gone through all those settings in "Change Advance Sharing Settings" and they were/are all OK. Still no Win8 mount in DM800 via telnet command.

Any more ideas?

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #14 fcs001fcs

• 244 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 14 May 2013 - 21:44

Sorry, yes I can select and read the Win8 Share from another Win 8 PC. It did not show up automaticlly in the Win File Explorer but when I typed the IP or Win Server Name it showed up in list and was accessible. It asked for User and Pass and saved the info in the "Credential Manager".

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #15 fcs001fcs

• 244 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 19 May 2013 - 00:33

Made some progress, I managed to get 2 Laptops with Win8 shares mounted on my DM800HD. It was no problem at all. The other Win8 desktop and laptop are not allowing me to mount their shares on the DM. It is definitly a Win8 issue but I am not sure what settings I need to change to get it to work. Still trying to figure it out and have compared the working/not working Win8 settings with no differences in settings visible to me.

I had to use IP addresses; Netbios Name (i.e. //computername/) for Win8 cifs server did not work.

Any ideas?

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #16 fcs001fcs

• 244 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 20 May 2013 - 16:42

Did a lot of searching on forums and tried some changes to Win8 via PowerShell but no luck in getting my Win8 PC to accept the mount command from my DM800HD.

Found a program from Microsoft to log and analyze the network traffic on my Win8 PC. Its called "Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4".

I used that and filtered for my DM800HD but due to my lack of understanding of the protocols etc. did not help me find the error.

I have attached a PDF version of the filtered network traffic between my DM800HD and Win8 PC when I try and mount the Win8 Share hoping one of the experts here in the forum can see the problem where I cannot.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached File  DM800HD try to mount Win8 Share - 2.pdf   278.96KB   22 downloads

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #17 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,627 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 21 May 2013 - 00:15

SMB:C; Session Setup Andx, Account = dreambox
SMB:C; Tree Connect Andx, Path = \\192.168.xxx.zzz/Users, Service = ?????
SMB:R; Tree Connect Andx - NT Status: System - Error, Code = (204) STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Looks like it can't do anything with "\\192.168.xxx.zzz/Users". Did you change the IP address to "xxx.zzz" manually (for the report), or are you trying to make a mount that way? And it should be "\\192.168.xxx.zzz\Users" I think, with a backslash.

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #18 fcs001fcs

• 244 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 21 May 2013 - 20:56

SMB:C; Session Setup Andx, Account = dreambox
SMB:C; Tree Connect Andx, Path = \\192.168.xxx.zzz/Users, Service = ?????
SMB:R; Tree Connect Andx - NT Status: System - Error, Code = (204) STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Looks like it can't do anything with "\\192.168.xxx.zzz/Users". Did you change the IP address to "xxx.zzz" manually (for the report), or are you trying to make a mount that way? And it should be "\\192.168.xxx.zzz\Users" I think, with a backslash.

Yes, I did replace all my IP addresses in the report with generic ones. The IPs in the report were correct. Just a little paranoid I guess. :)

The "= \\192.168.xxx.zzz/Users, Service = ?????" is generated by the MS Monitoring Program and is not an entry I make. "192.168.xxx.zzz" is the Windows 8 PC.

My mount command is: "mount -t cifs -o user=dreambox,password=dream //192.168.xxx.zzz/Users /media/net/MainPC" that works for 2 Win 8 Laptops but not the Descktop PC I am having problems with. I think the commnd is OK but the PC has an issue.

What does "System - Error, Code = (204) STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME" mean?

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #19 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,627 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 22 May 2013 - 17:42

From the Windows SDK:

ERROR 204: STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME.This error is due to {Network Name Not Found} The specified share name cannot be found on the remote server. .The default facility code

Which is why I suspect it doesn't like "\\192.168.xxx.zzz/Users" but wants "\\192.168.xxx.zzz\Users".

I assume the share does exist, and you can connect to it from one of the Win Laptops using:

NET USE \\192.168.xxx.zzz\Users /user:dreambox

and then type in the password at the prompt?

Re: DM800 cannot mount Windows 8 Shared USB HDD #20 fcs001fcs

• 244 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 22 May 2013 - 20:44

From the Windows SDK:

ERROR 204: STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME.This error is due to {Network Name Not Found} The specified share name cannot be found on the remote server. .The default facility code

Which is why I suspect it doesn't like "\\192.168.xxx.zzz/Users" but wants "\\192.168.xxx.zzz\Users".

I assume the share does exist, and you can connect to it from one of the Win Laptops using:

NET USE \\192.168.xxx.zzz\Users /user:dreambox

and then type in the password at the prompt?

Ran the command and it completed successfully. Ran it again and it show a few status lines one of which was Status = OK. So the Win8 Laptop can login to the Win8 PC Share but the DM800HD cannot. What is next to check?

BTW when I try to reverse the Slash / and Back-Slash \ in the Mount command the DM800 (Linux) does not accept it, produces errors.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount manager, windows 8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users