Photo

Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support)

Xtrend card reader open source

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #61 pop_eye

• 240 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 6 December 2013 - 19:05

Having clones is a more bigger joke... Or not?

Please tell what a clone opensource stb really means to you.

I currently use x86, mipsel, arm, sh4 boards for watching multimedia content.

From all of them I prefer the ones where I can make changes including to their drivers by adding / changing features etc.

I consider those the most "to have" equipment for enthusiasts. And I really try to get rid of the closed source - crappy ones with closed source drivers.

I think I did myself the best selection I could find on the market right now.  And I don`t need or care about the rest...

Edited by pop_eye, 6 December 2013 - 19:05.

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #62 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 6 December 2013 - 19:05

This is a stupid discussion, if it doesn't return to the topic I'll close it!

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #63 pop_eye

• 240 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 6 December 2013 - 19:09

This is a stupid discussion, if it doesn't return to the topic I'll close it!

Let the topic opener to answer if he wishes, and I agree closing the topic.

It is his topic not anyone else. I only added my 2 cents worth of fables ;)

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #64 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 6 December 2013 - 21:03

Check the spec of the Xtrend ET-10000 and you will see that it brings features that you have never seems on STB.

So I prefer to pay for a STB from a company that bring some real innovations, check for what HDMI IN will do.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #65 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 6 December 2013 - 21:43

Just for the record, the TPM board of Xtrend IS prone to failures. Actually the big problem with them is that ALL such boards will fail in the future, leaving a dead box. I currenlty have 2 ET5000 and 1 ET6000 with dead TPM board due to battery failure. All three boxes failed when the boxes stayed out of power supply for 7-10 days, about two and a half years after they were bought (so out of warranty). Why should I pay for fixing those? It is a flawed by design TPM solution that will fail ALL boxes sooner or later - the battery doesn't live for ever. What Xtrend should do is to provide drivers without the TPM checks for all those owners with broken boxes. Until it does, I am not considering buying Xtrend boxes EVER again - even though I recognise their driver support is superior to the VU+ Solo2 I am using now.

Edited by malakudi, 6 December 2013 - 21:45.

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #66 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 6 December 2013 - 22:02

The support forums are full of users saying the same thing as Malakudi, of course...

I remember an incident (with an interview, if memory serves), and an article claiming that ET boxes are made NOT to work beyond a certain age, that various parts were not of good quality on purpose.

And what was the purpose? Profit and nothing else. They wanted those boxes gone, so that users would buy new one, of course... And that to my mind, if true, certainly does not play well, whether you are for Open Source or not...

We are left in a situation whereby we are choosing the lesser of evil - all else is sheer... you know what...

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #67 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 7 December 2013 - 00:38

I remember an incident (with an interview, if memory serves), and an article claiming that ET boxes are made NOT to work beyond a certain age, that various parts were not of good quality on purpose.

I wouldn't go that far. To me it is just a bad design, a flawed engineering design. They thought that the battery might last 7-8 years, so other parts would have failed first, or the boxes would be irrelevant due to technological improvements (H.265, 4K etc). But this is where they failed, it doesn't last 7-8 years, especially if you take the power off from the outlet completely. Bad design, bad decisions. Now they can only "fix" it by removing their TPM from the drivers, at least for those old and out of sale boxes (ET5000,ET6000).

Edited by malakudi, 7 December 2013 - 00:41.

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #68 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 7 December 2013 - 01:49

Just so there is no misunderstanding, here is the original text:

+++ SKANDAL +++ Hersteller verbaut minderwertige Kondensatoren in ET9200

Seoul 23.11.2011 - Wie unser Koreakorrespondent soeben mitteilte, hatte ein investigativer Forum-Moderator mit Beweisbildern aufgedeckt, dass der Hersteller wieder auf Kosten der Anwender spart.

In seinem Beweisbild (Detailfoto) vom ET9200-Netzteil ist an der Beschriftung der neuen 105°-Kondensatoren (an der Oberkante) zu erkennen, dass es sich dabei um die Samyoung KMG-Serie handelt, deren Lebensdauer lt. PDF-Datenblatt mit nur 1000-2000h angegeben ist (1000 ist für ELKOs qualitätsmäßig unter aller Kanone). Damit wurde (nach dem Lithium-Batterie-Skandal) ein weiterer Angriff auf die User gestartet, um Geräte mit einem Verfallsdatum zu versehen, um so den Aktienkurs langfristig zu stabilisieren.

Das legendäre Vorgängermodell, der ET9000, hatte noch die bessere Kondensator-Serie "SHL" verbaut. Dessen Datenblatt, über Googles PDF-Ansicht noch in englisch einsehbar, hatte noch eine doppelt so lange Lebensdauer (2000h) garantiert (nix 1000h).

Der verantwortliche Manager sprach von einem bedauerlichen Einzelfall beim ET9200; normalerweise würde man nicht auf Kosten der Lebensdauer ein paar Cent einsparen. Man müsse aber Verständnis haben, denn leider habe der geniale Ingenieur, der die 9000 noch entwickelt hat, das Unternehmen verlassen, und dessen Nachfolger allein würde seit dem nichts mehr auf die Reihe kriegen. Insbesondere werde daher der ET9500 wohl niemals fertig werden, obwohl er ursprünglich für Mitte 2011 geplant war. Das Board of Directors habe daher entschieden, für die nächsten Jahre (beginnend mit dem ET9200) das Einkommen mit ungerechtfertigten Preiserhöhungen, sowie mit zusätzlichen Verfallsdatum-Strategien, zu sichern.

+++ +++ +++

Auf die Frage unseres Korrespondenten, wieso ein Ingenieur eigentlich so bekloppt sein kann, einen Kühlkörper falsch einzubauen, nämlich mit den Lamellen waagerecht (wie beim ET9200 mit Fotos bewiesen) statt senkrecht (wie korrekterweise beim ET9000), meinte der Manager nur, aufgrund der Branchen-Boom-Situation gebe es gerade eine hohe Personalfluktuation, und fähige Leute seien auf dem Markt einfach nicht mehr verfügbar, um gute Leute zu ersetzen.

Koreanische Top-Ingeneure mit TV-STB-Skills (wie sie für die ET9500-Umsetzung jetzt so händeringend nötig gewesen wären) gebe es längst nicht mehr auf dem koreanischen Arbeitsmarkt; was da jetzt noch übrig ist, sind nur noch Jahrgangsletzte, die gerade mal nur an Netzteil-Schaltungen eher schlecht als recht herumpfriemeln können. Der ET9200 ist sozusagen ein Kind dieser Arbeitsmarktsituation, man sei darüber auch alles andere als froh.

Außerdem sei das mit dem Kühlkörper garnicht so bekloppt, sondern eher smart. Man erhoffe bzw. erwünsche sich vom falschen Kühlkörpereinbau im ET9200 eine Überhitzung (somit eine schnellere Alterung) des Netzteils, um sich langfristig (nach Ablauf der 24 Monate Gewährleistungsfrist) ein zusätzliches Reparatur-Einkommen zu generieren - als Fallback-Solution, falls die neuen extra-kurzlebigen Kondensatoren im Einzelfall mal unerwartet lang am Leben bleiben sollten.

Ansonsten laute die neue firmeninterne Parole seit dem ET9200 nun "Hang Chai Woi Nu Tao", auf deutsch: "Häng einfach ne Null dran". Beispiel: kaufe eine HbbTV-Lizenz für 10 Euro pro Gerät ein, und verkaufe sie an den Endkunden für 100 Euro weiter.

====================================

SCANDAL + + + + + + manufacturers installed capacitors in inferior ET9200

11/23/2011 Seoul - Korea, as our correspondent has just announced an investigative forum moderator had uncovered evidence with pictures is that the manufacturer saves costs back to the user.

In his proof image (detail photo) from the ET9200-power supply is on the label of the new 105 ° capacitors (at the top) to recognize that this is the Samyoung CMM series, whose life according to PDF data sheet with only 1000 -2000h is given (1000 is for electrolytic capacitors in terms of quality among all gun). So was (after the lithium-battery-scandal) launched another attack on the user to connect devices to have an expiry date in order to stabilize the share price in the long term.

The legendary predecessor, the ET9000, still had the better series capacitor "SHL" installed. Its data sheet, about Google's PDF view still viewed in English, still had twice as long life (2000 hours), guarantees (nix 1000h).

The responsible manager spoke of an unfortunate individual cases at the ET9200, normally you would not save the expense of the life of a few cents. But one must understand, because unfortunately have the brilliant engineer who designed the 9000 still left the company, and its successor would only get since nothing on the line. In particular, the ET9500 will therefore probably never be finished, although it was originally planned for mid 2011. The Board of Directors have therefore decided, for the next few years (starting with the ET9200) to secure the income of unjustified price increases, as well as additional strategies expiration date.

+ + + + + + + + +

On the question of our correspondent why an engineer can be really crazy like a heatsink incorrectly installed, horizontally, namely with the lamellae (as in ET9200 demonstrated with pictures) rather than vertically (as accurate as the ET9000), said the manager only, due to the industries give-boom-it's just a situation of high staff turnover, and capable people in the market are simply not available to replace good people.

Korea's top engineers with TV-STB-skills (such as they were wringing their hands for the ET9500-implementation now so have been necessary) there is no longer in the Korean labor market, and what there is left now are only a year of last, the time just herumpfriemeln only to power supply circuits can be more bad than good. The ET9200 is a sort of child of labor market situation, it is about anything but happy.

Furthermore, it is not at the body so crazy with the heat, but rather smart. You hope and erwünsche from the wrong heat sink installation in ET9200 overheating (and thus a faster aging) of the power supply to the long term to generate (after the 24-month warranty period), an additional repair-income - as a fallback solution in case the new extra short-lived-capacitors in individual cases should unexpectedly long time to stay alive.

Otherwise, the new company's internal slogan loud since ET9200 Now "Hang Chai Woi Nu Tao", in German: "Put simply turn ne zero". Example: buy a license for 10 HbbTV € per unit, and sell it to the end customer for 100 €.

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #69 Ratatosk

• 7 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 7 December 2013 - 06:38

pop_eye, are you telling me to stay away from Xtrend, specifically? Or should I forget about buying any factory-made box at all, and instead build my own?

gorski, I googled for the source of your article, and it appears it was all meant as a joke on hysterical conspiracy theories, written by signature nwind in the et-view-support forum.

Incidentally, I recently saw a very similar accusation being made against Vu+ (and that one seemingly seriously meant). But, regardless of brand name, I'd need some very substantial evidence before I believe it. If I buy an Xtrend (or Vu+) and it breaks down in say 2½ years, then, yes, it would force me to buy a new box, but would it be one from the same manufacturer? Not likely. I would do exactly what malakudi did, and buy another brand instead. And neither would it make me speak well to others of the brand that failed me.

Another thing entirely is that manufacturers sometimes can cut corners more than they should. (The way it seems Xtrend did with the card readers in their most recent models.) That doesn't strike me as devious cleverness, however, rather the opposite.

malakudi, 3 boxes dead after 2½ years, that's horrible! :o  :( I can easily understand it if you now stay clear of Xtrend.

Even so, I am still not convinced that your problems with the ET-5000 and the ET-6000 are reason enough for me to also avoid the ET-9500 or ET-6500. It's yet another clear failure of Xtrend in the past, of course, and as such doesn't speak in their favor. But this one is presumably now corrected — well, in new boxes, that is. (And even if the earlier boxes had an undisputable design flaw, it seems to me you must have been extremely unlucky, or else the Xtrend brand would now surely be dead already, wouldn't it?)

I had actually already noticed the matter of the battery-powered security board that comes with every Xtrend machine, even before I started this thread. (Found an earlier discussion in this forum here. There is also a more recent discussion in German in the xtrend-home forum.)

The way I understand it:

• The battery is calculated to hold for 10 years, even if the box is never powered on. (Should last even longer if it is.)

• The reason a significant number of problems, despite this, has been reported seems to be due to a bad battery holder for replaceable batteries in early models (with bad connection to the battery). That is, it wasn't that the battery was depleted faster than expected; it just wasn't reliably connected to the board. These holders supposedly are replaced, and the battery now firmly mounted to the board, in all recently sold Xtrend machines (since sometime 2012 at least). So shouldn't be a problem to me, if I now buy an ET-9500 or ET-6500.

• The European distributors furthermore appear (from what I understand) to have secured a promise from the Korean maker that, after a certain (non-disclosed) time, drivers are to be released that don't check the security board anymore.

To the user, the security board is dead weight, of course. And, yes, it's yet another thing in the box that could potentially break, one way or another (even with the battery now supposedly secured and well connected), and render the box useless (until those new drivers are released). So I do understand and share the discomfort of everybody with it at all being there. But, all in all, it seems at this point to be a relatively minor thing to me. (Like hounce, in the German discussion I linked to, is saying, there are so many other things to worry about in these boxes anyway, that could break or go wrong, regardless of brand.)

Now, the angle of pop_eye, in this thread, is it also goes against the concept of open source, and, strictly speaking, that's very obviously right, of course. Without closed-source drivers, anti-clone measures like these wouldn't at all be possible. But, as already said, closed-source drivers are everywhere (unfortunately) and other manufacturers apply such measures as well, and it isn't clear to me that the one chosen by Xtrend is worse really than those of their competitors.

By the way, regarding the absence of Dreambox clones during the first carefree years, it is my understanding that it wasn't until about 2008 or so that Chinese hardware pirates started to organize themselves for large scale operations against this increasingly lucrative target. (When investigating the history of open DVD boxes I came across an account of Chinese pirate operations, written by what seemed to be a Chinese with inside knowledge. Unfortunately I cannot now find it.)

It would seem that open-source boxes are particularly easy prey to these predators. And now that there is blood in the water, I can't see that there is any going back. Anti-clone measures in one form or another, it seems to me, are here to stay, unfortunately.

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #70 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 7 December 2013 - 11:35

Here in Holland if a device has a (major) design flaw the manufacturer has to fix it under warranty even if the standard device warranty is gone.

But most owners just dispose the device and dont use their legal rights.

On the other hands, if the device is still working but the manufacturer is long gone and the protectionboard is failing you are facing a dead box. Just replacing a battery or any other electronic part isnt doing the trick. Its quite silly you have to hack your device for sole reason a failing protection board.

@Camping: ZGemma H.2S, Technisat Multytenne 4-in-1 @Home: Edision Mini 4K, Wave Frontier T55, EMP Centauri EMP DiSEqC 8/1 switch, 4x Inverto Ultra Black single LNB

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #71 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 7 December 2013 - 11:56

Please stop scare people here with fabels and fairytales.....!!
The battery powered security method is used in many systems and proven. There are no doubts about this.

That there were some quality issues with not correctly fixed batteries or defect security boards does not mean the method is bad!

And indeed et can remove the check at this moment as these et boxes are not subject of cloning anymore. From this moment it is no issue at all....

And indeed possibly a capacitor in the powersupply may trigger issues... Especially in the first generation of et9000 boxes. Remember the red light issue from a Tender, and all the other power supply issues dmm had in the past!

And now please return on topic!

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #72 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 7 December 2013 - 12:17

Just to clarify: that's all I meant and here it is from the next generation (9200), on the level of facts (I just can't see this one meant as a joke, too... :D [btw, I saw the arguments on the subject and it seems it was not a universally held view on the matter - that it was indeed a joke):

"And then, last but certainly not the least: the capacitors.
    Most capacitors used in the ET9x00 are of the brand Samyoung. In some reviews of the ET9000 it was mentioned that a lot of 85 degree capacitors were used. It was said that the use of these caps could reduce the lifetime of the STB. Whether this is really the case is difficult to say for a product that was launched about a year ago, but it's good to see that nXtrend, the manufacturer, has opted for only 105 degree capacitors in the ET9200.
    In the ET9000 we could find the 85 degree capacitors on the mainboard near the hard drive and power supply, at the back in the area of the RCA outputs, and in the area of the tuners. These have all been replaced by 105 degree caps in the ET9200.

Caps on the ET9200..."

R_Pic_10c.jpg

Btw, I think, if we put aside the security protection, HW or SW (Marusys are doing it), with all that it entails, slowing down the box and whatnot, ET (Xtrend etc.) are arguably the best built and drivers are the most solid, it seems. My learned colleagues all assure me they have benefited from getting the best Marusys coder(s), too... :D

But if one is clearly asking for Open Source SW and HW that is not loaded with security issues, then neither of these boxes are to be taken into consideration, as we all see...

So, if one is not a coder and one wants Open Source principles in the game - who do we support, which HW do we buy, who is to be rewarded and made stronger?

On the other hand, the question was put before us, a little earlier: "how would we deal with those issues, if we invested a lot in a project of this sort"?

So far I have not seen a credible answer, given in good faith, regarding protecting one's investment, while not killing the functionality of the box.

One thing I can say is that one should go after the manufacturers and distributors of clones, WITHOUT penalising the users/buyers!!!

So, back to the topic, indeed...

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #73 WTE

• 821 posts

+36
Good

Posted 7 December 2013 - 13:28

Just to clarify: that's all I meant and here it is from the next generation (9200), on the level of facts (I just can't see this one meant as a joke, too... :D [btw, I saw the arguments on the subject and it seems it was not a universally held view on the matter - that it was indeed a joke):

"And then, last but certainly not the least: the capacitors.
    Most capacitors used in the ET9x00 are of the brand Samyoung. In some reviews of the ET9000 it was mentioned that a lot of 85 degree capacitors were used. It was said that the use of these caps could reduce the lifetime of the STB. Whether this is really the case is difficult to say for a product that was launched about a year ago, but it's good to see that nXtrend, the manufacturer, has opted for only 105 degree capacitors in the ET9200.
    In the ET9000 we could find the 85 degree capacitors on the mainboard near the hard drive and power supply, at the back in the area of the RCA outputs, and in the area of the tuners. These have all been replaced by 105 degree caps in the ET9200.

Caps on the ET9200..."

R_Pic_10c.jpg

Btw, I think, if we put aside the security protection, HW or SW (Marusys are doing it), with all that it entails, slowing down the box and whatnot, ET (Xtrend etc.) are arguably the best built and drivers are the most solid, it seems. My learned colleagues all assure me they have benefited from getting the best Marusys coder(s), too... :D

But if one is clearly asking for Open Source SW and HW that is not loaded with security issues, then neither of these boxes are to be taken into consideration, as we all see...

So, if one is not a coder and one wants Open Source principles in the game - who do we support, which HW do we buy, who is to be rewarded and made stronger?

On the other hand, the question was put before us, a little earlier: "how would we deal with those issues, if we invested a lot in a project of this sort"?

So far I have not seen a credible answer, given in good faith, regarding protecting one's investment, while not killing the functionality of the box.

One thing I can say is that one should go after the manufacturers and distributors of clones, WITHOUT penalising the users/buyers!!!

So, back to the topic, indeed...

My VU+ duo has only samyoung 85degree capacitors, even some humax models I have are with 85degree samyoung.

The capacitors in ET9200 are replace only as sales strategy and not for lifetime or whatever.

Mut@nt HD51 STB 4K

:rolleyes:                :rolleyes:

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #74 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 7 December 2013 - 13:39

Its in the name if you ask me: somedieyoung ;)

@Camping: ZGemma H.2S, Technisat Multytenne 4-in-1 @Home: Edision Mini 4K, Wave Frontier T55, EMP Centauri EMP DiSEqC 8/1 switch, 4x Inverto Ultra Black single LNB

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #75 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 7 December 2013 - 13:40

:D :D :D

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #76 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 7 December 2013 - 13:44

indeed 85 degrees capacitors will die younger then 105 degrees capacitors.... Those 85 degrees capacitors were used in such powersupplies for years without any real issues... Due to this kind of fairytale threads ET did likely thange that capacitor in later generations. And of course this is a good decisian as the capacitor will live longer in an extreme increased temperature environment..... :D

But we go from the battery powered security method to the "bad" capacitor.... I only can suggest someone claims ET is extreme bad quality....

Edited by littlesat, 7 December 2013 - 13:47.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #77 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 7 December 2013 - 13:47

Please stop scare people here with fabels and fairytales.....!!

What I wrote is no fairytale. I have three dead boxes. I also know at least five other people with same problem. Greek Xtrend distributor has gone bankrupt. Who is going to fix those? Why should I pay to fix a flawed design? I demand replacement tpm boards for free or drivers with no tpm check.

Sure, VU+ Duo has the capacitor issue as well. I fixed 3-4 of those (from friends) with a cost of 5 euros per box. I can't fix the dead ET boxes.

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #78 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,469 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 7 December 2013 - 14:22

contact the manufacturer as your distributor has gone

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #79 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 7 December 2013 - 14:45

I have a box for more then 3 years now without any issues....
As far i know the et5k and et6k boxes recent drivers do not have a check anymore... So at least the security issue for these boxes are irrilivant...

End of the myth.....

Edited by littlesat, 7 December 2013 - 14:45.

Re: Xtrend Card Reader (& Open-Source Support) #80 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 7 December 2013 - 19:29

I have a box for more then 3 years now without any issues....
As far i know the et5k and et6k boxes recent drivers do not have a check anymore... So at least the security issue for these boxes are irrilivant...

End of the myth.....

So your experience of one box is the reality and my experience of eight broken boxes is a myth.

Latest drivers for ET5X00 are 3.8.7-20130522 and they definitely have the TPM checks, since they fail to load on my dead boxes.

Unfortunately that is the truth, no myth.

@hemertje: I contacted the repair center in Netherlands. They agreed to repair my first broken box although it is not their obligation, but of course not for free. The total cost with shipment back and forth from Greece to Netherlands would be almost 100 euros. Since then I had two more dead boxes. I am denying to pay even a eurocent for these broken boxes. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to fix them for free, by giving out drivers with no TPM check.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Xtrend, card reader, open source

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users