DM500

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Re: Direct Recording on 500 #101 ksada2

• 34 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 April 2008 - 09:34

Thanks Sjaaky,

The DM500 doesn't support Multiboot does it? /var/etc/init does indeed not exist on my box. So my mount is set as in the attachment. I have now removed the forcedirectio and nobrl one by one, made new recordings, and they are equally bad.
The only thing I don't have is your "nsmod /lib/modules/2.6.9/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko CIFSMaxBufSize=64000"

Zapstream didn't work at all well, as I use wireless, but it did work fairly well on some channels with a different image, not sure which.
However, I record using wired LAN, and I know that works OK because I once tried my friend's 500+ on it.

How long might it be until you release your new recording code? I'm absolutely dying to get this thing working properly, it is so annoying.

I have one more question regarding the DM500, (I assume you are using one also): after being switched back on from stand by mode my receiver is really slow for about 30 seconds or so, during which time I cannot change channel, or change the volume, access menus etc. If I try it does nothing, or simply goes into Mute!!
Do other people experience this? I contacted the manufacturer, who believe that my flash ram may be faulty, and they want me to test it with the original image. I'd like to know if this is normal DM500 behaviour before I send it back to the shop!

Cheers.

Attached Files

Re: Direct Recording on 500 #102 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 6 April 2008 - 09:46

/var/etc/init does indeed not exist on my box.

Default it's not on the box, but if you create one it will be used.

Re: Direct Recording on 500 #103 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 6 April 2008 - 10:14

PLi usually releases 2 images a year, so you'll have to wait until summer (at least, because I'm not done yet).

You can use Flash Wizard pro 6.3 to 'enable' multiboot. You'll need a NFS server/mount to put the images on.

I never experienced the standby problem you describe. Don't know about other users.

Re: Direct Recording on 500 #104 ksada2

• 34 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 April 2008 - 15:56

I've now created the "init" file, using the following text

50 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
echo 200 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_expire_centisecs

#extra cifs options
rmmod cifs
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.9/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko CIFSMaxBufSize=64000

#mount /hdd
mount -t cifs -o user=dream,pass=dream,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,nobrl,forcedirectio //192.168.1.55/hdd /hdd

I initially had the rsize and wsize set to 8192, which gave very poor results, but with the setting increased to 32768 it is about 95% good, which is a major improvement.
I don't actually understand what the rsize is, but is it likely to get better still if I increase this more?

Re: Direct Recording on 500 #105 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 6 April 2008 - 22:52

Ok that's typical. I never got good results with wsize above ~12000. But if it works for you, I'm happy :D.

The easiest way to test if higher values improve recording is to try :).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DM500

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users