61 replies to this topic

Re: OpenVPN error #21 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,619 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 1 September 2018 - 15:05

Weird:

The OpenVPN init script does a "modprobe tun" on startup, so it should not be needed to do it manually. I checked both 6.2-release and develop:

start_vpn () {
    modprobe tun >/dev/null 2>&1 || true
    $DAEMON --daemon --writepid /var/run/openvpn.$NAME.pid \
            --config $CONFIG_DIR/$NAME.conf --cd $CONFIG_DIR || echo -n " FAILED->"
    echo -n " $NAME"
}

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: OpenVPN error #22 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 1 September 2018 - 15:16

Maybe init script starts too early.

Edited by betacentauri, 1 September 2018 - 15:16.

Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

Re: OpenVPN error #23 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,619 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 1 September 2018 - 15:18

Don't know, I personally never had this problem on my VU Zero which I use with OpenVPN and fallback tuner when I am on the road...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: OpenVPN error #24 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,075 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 1 September 2018 - 17:22

Hi,

Problem is in the logic of the init.d/openvpn file.

When you first install OpenVPN you don't have any configuration file on your system. Look at the logic, if no configuration file the module is not modprobe tune since it is in the function start_vpn() which is not called!

So when people start to setup there configuration file and try to launch manually openvpn from the command line to see what happens it fails.

So modprobe should always be done even if the configuration file is not yet defined, so the people can test there setup manually before rebooting there box and have it started as a daemon.

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: OpenVPN error #25 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,619 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 1 September 2018 - 18:05

That should be no problem after a reboot.

Re: OpenVPN error #26 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,075 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 1 September 2018 - 18:41

If the conf file is created... but if people try to set it up and try in command line, like doglover does, they won't perhaps leave the configuration file since it doesn't work.

Changing the logic in the startup script is better, does it create any security issue to have the modprobe done even when there is no configuration file?

Or create a fake empty configuration file.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

Re: OpenVPN error #27 daveraver

• 412 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 4 September 2018 - 06:56

Don't know, I personally never had this problem on my VU Zero which I use with OpenVPN and fallback tuner when I am on the road...

I want to apologize for the offtopic, it's better use fallback tuner instead of openwebif m3u list? I notice that using m3u owif list the HD channels are not running very well, they runs but not with fluency. Maybe with fallback tuner is the same case but on the road you only use SD channels and there is no problem with them on openvpn connection. It's for that why I send the owif m3u list to tvheadend to stream by passthough profile, then I watch hd channels with very fluency, just as I see on tv at home...

Greetings

Re: OpenVPN error #28 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 4 September 2018 - 07:04

You can even use streamconvert with fallback tuner...

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: OpenVPN error #29 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,075 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 4 September 2018 - 07:06

You can also use a STB that support transcoding natively and use then the .m3u OWIF list from the transconder port, and not the standard one.  

Re: OpenVPN error #30 daveraver

• 412 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 4 September 2018 - 08:04

Yes, I will try these other ways. I just wanted to know the particular case using fallback tuner on openvpn connection because I've never used it. thanks!

Edited by daveraver, 4 September 2018 - 08:04.

Re: OpenVPN error #31 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,619 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 4 September 2018 - 11:49

I use that all the time, works fine, you only need to define the transcoding URL (with the portnumber),

Re: OpenVPN error #32 daveraver

• 412 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 4 September 2018 - 22:06

I use that all the time, works fine, you only need to define the transcoding URL (with the portnumber),

could you tell me how you transcode with vuzero??? the streamconverter plugin is what let you make transcoding?? I dont understand it..

Enviat des del meu ALE-L21 usant Tapatalk

Re: OpenVPN error #33 daveraver

• 412 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 4 September 2018 - 22:35

could you tell me how you transcode with vuzero??? the streamconverter plugin is what let you make transcoding?? I dont understand it..

ok, I think I understand it now .. you use the tuner of vuzero as a fallback tuner on a box can transcode the streams you got from... I think so, dont it? or sorry, you use vuzero to get a fallback tuner from a box that it can transcode... this is the right one... I think so.. ok, capito

Edited by daveraver, 4 September 2018 - 22:38.

Re: OpenVPN error #34 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,619 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 4 September 2018 - 22:48

Yes.

My "server" box has been an ET10000 for a long time, and recently switched to a VU+ Solo4K.

Re: OpenVPN error #35 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,075 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 5 September 2018 - 07:45

Hi,

Vu+ Zero is a zapper box and they are unable to transcode, so if you server is a Zero you can only receive direct stream. That's why it is useless to install the transcode plugin.

https://wiki.openpli...pbox_Comparison

Pr2

Re: OpenVPN error #36 daveraver

• 412 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 5 September 2018 - 22:53

yes, it is understood, we talk about fallback tuner on vuzero with openvpn connection, it take the remote tuner from a box with transcode setup, vu+ solo 4k... I dont undestrand this way to get the streams, maybe somebody could give some explanation... would it be better getting the streams directly from vu+ solo 4k... wouldn't it? where is the trick?

Edited by daveraver, 5 September 2018 - 22:54.

Re: OpenVPN error #37 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,619 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 5 September 2018 - 23:13

I use this setup when I'm on the road for any length of time, in a hotel, with familty, or some other temporary location.

Connect the zero to the TV that is already present, connect the zero to the Wifi (I use a USB stick on a 5 meter USB cable so I can position it), and I can watch TV like at home. Non-transcoded streams won't work, they are to sensitive to latency, not to mention I only have 9Mbps upstream at home.

Before this I used my laptop, and the webif through the VPN and use VLC, but is just less convinient.

Re: OpenVPN error #38 jpuigs

• 1,143 posts

+32
Good

Posted 6 September 2018 - 00:34

not to mention I only have 9Mbps upstream at home.

Then it's difficult to stream some HD content.

Come to Spain.....   :)  :)

post-40242-0-86619100-1536190406.jpg

Attached Files

Enigma is getting old....

Spoiler

Re: OpenVPN error #39 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,619 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 6 September 2018 - 00:42

You have that here too, but not where I want or can afford to live...

Re: OpenVPN error #40 daveraver

• 412 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 6 September 2018 - 07:15

not to mention I only have 9Mbps upstream at home.

Then it's difficult to stream some HD content.

Come to Spain.....   :)  :)

post-40242-0-86619100-1536190406.jpg

It's not just a bandwidth problem with openvpn connection, it's to process full HD channels on ovpn connections. SD channels are well worked, but full hd channels are too hard to work on openvpn connections, even having a good hardware to work it. I tried with lower 1024bit encryption file and it's hard to stream full hd channels too.

Edited by daveraver, 6 September 2018 - 07:18.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users