Trying To Mount /var On HDD

DM500

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SGTFlipFlop

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 August 2008 - 14:41

1st of all id like to say thank you to the image makers for your time and effort and continued support, Its much appriciated from me and many others.

OK heres my predicament i have the DM500-s box as yu know it has limited internal flash so im trying to mount the /var folder on a network mount, everything is setup correctly *Pictures Below*

Posted Image Posted Image

So next i go into options > swap file and /var > change var location to dm500

When i click green to save it says it will move the file and reboot press green to start as soon as i press the green button i get /media/var could not be written *press the red button to close*

That happens every time i try, Anyone got any ideas that could help me out?

Thanks for reading

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 4 August 2008 - 15:55

Doesn't the checkmark at Ro (in options) mean the mount is read-only? In that cause there is nothing to move, you can't write to the destination. Try using Rw instead...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #3 SGTFlipFlop

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 August 2008 - 17:17

Doesn't the checkmark at Ro (in options) mean the mount is read-only? In that cause there is nothing to move, you can't write to the destination. Try using Rw instead...

Just tried that and get the same error

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #4 hemispherical1

• 1,596 posts

+49
Good

Posted 5 August 2008 - 00:32

Did you unmount the ro (read-only) share then re-mount it as rw (read-write)? I had tested this function recently when someone else was having trouble (they mounted to /hdd rather than /media/var) and it seemed to work fine...

--
hemi

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #5 jonc

• 2,667 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 August 2008 - 04:23

Works for me on all the devices I have tried in RW >> E1SystemSwap << and >> E1Mount <<

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #6 3836223

• 2 posts

Neutral

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:49

good

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #7 Katje2

• 15 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 September 2008 - 06:44

OK my friend. I try to make a mount like yours in my DM500 and I had the same problem,"./media/var could not be written".I resolve this problem making this change: Go to the dreambox folder in your PC ,make a right click on it and choose Sharing and security.Open the General tab and push advance. Check " Folder is ready to archiving" I did it and the folder was written in my pc . Now I have the problem with the softcam emulator because as soon as i moved the var to my PC the emulation RQCAMD stop.I test it before the move and works fine. The error in telnet is "ERROR BINDING TO SOCKET". Also I try to stop RQCAMD with KILLALL but it shows RQCAMD no process killed. May you give any idea to resolve it or the other friends here ? Thanks.

1st of all id like to say thank you to the image makers for your time and effort and continued support, Its much appriciated from me and many others.

OK heres my predicament i have the DM500-s box as yu know it has limited internal flash so im trying to mount the /var folder on a network mount, everything is setup correctly *Pictures Below*

Posted Image Posted Image

So next i go into options > swap file and /var > change var location to dm500

When i click green to save it says it will move the file and reboot press green to start as soon as i press the green button i get /media/var could not be written *press the red button to close*

That happens every time i try, Anyone got any ideas that could help me out?

Thanks for reading

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #8 Katje2

• 15 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 September 2008 - 07:52

I found the problem. DM500 creates a folder in VAR named PLI. It was not checked obviously to be share. I share it and thats all. Is working fine.

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #9 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 6 September 2008 - 09:04

I found the problem. DM500 creates a folder in VAR named PLI. It was not checked obviously to be share. I share it and thats all. Is working fine.

That's right. The image creates a folder pli and one with a lot of numbers. I suppose if the root folder (on /media/var) is shared all folders created later on are automatically shared too.

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #10 Katje2

• 15 posts

Neutral

Posted 7 September 2008 - 07:58

Its just working the first time. I disconnect the computer and the problem "error binding to socket " continue and the emulator RQCAMD is not executed. Any idea?

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #11 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 7 September 2008 - 11:42

I had some /var to network problems too in Jade. After some reboots it didn't work, after some it did work. So, in PLi Jade Final I've made this a bit more stable.

@Katje2: did you turn off and turn on the computer again? Moving /var to a computer only works if the computer is always on as long as the Dreambox is on (or in standby).
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: http://openpli.org/wiki

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #12 Katje2

• 15 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 September 2008 - 06:15

Hello people any one with a hint about this problem?

Its just working the first time. I disconnect the computer and the problem "error binding to socket " continue and the emulator RQCAMD is not executed. Any idea?

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #13 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 8 September 2008 - 06:49

It's what I said: you cannot switch off the computer while the Dreambox is switched on. Did you do that?
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: http://openpli.org/wiki

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #14 Katje2

• 15 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 September 2008 - 15:57

It's what I said: you cannot switch off the computer while the Dreambox is switched on. Did you do that?

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #15 Katje2

• 15 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 September 2008 - 19:52

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #16 Katje2

• 15 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 September 2008 - 23:27

Someone is relating the camd.socket with this problem.What do you think?

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #17 Ruddyrum

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:13

i too have a similar problem... none of my softcams work when i use a network mounted HDD as the /var folder?!

Everything else seems to work fine, untill I reboot the dreambox. It then says it still has the network hdd mounted as /var, but the only space available is the internal flash?!

Re: Trying To Mount /var On HDD #18 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:38

i too have a similar problem... none of my softcams work when i use a network mounted HDD as the /var folder?!

Everything else seems to work fine, untill I reboot the dreambox. It then says it still has the network hdd mounted as /var, but the only space available is the internal flash?!

I fixed some issues in the next PLi Jade Final. Can't say it will solve all, but I've seen this problem before.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DM500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users