• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wannaplay

• 164 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 4 September 2008 - 14:14

Hi there fellow dreamers!

I'm experiencing freezing problems with the dreambox 500s. I've got the lastest image installed. Most of the freezing seems to happen while streaming to pc by just changing channel. By leaving the dreambox on standby over night and turning it back on in the morning and then streaming to the pc and changing channels it freezes. I then need to go to the mains and turn it off when ever this happens. It's very annoying! Anyone else experiencing these problems? Any solutions?

Re: Freezing problems #2 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 4 September 2008 - 14:27

Did you enable zapstream? It was specifically designed to handle channel changes.
You can verify by checking the statusbar in VLC. The url should be http://dreambox:31344. Check the GenericStream page of the wiki for more information.

When you're using zapstream and it fails you might increase the delayafterzap setting in /var/etc/zapstream.conf. It worked for at least one user.
Make sure you remove the ; in front of the setting and try a higher value.
Like this:
delayafterzap=2000000

Re: Freezing problems #3 wannaplay

• 164 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 4 September 2008 - 14:57

Looks like you just might be right. Changing channels already seems better. I'll leave it for a few days and see if there's any relapse.

Thank you mate!

Re: Freezing problems #4 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 4 September 2008 - 15:10

You started to use zapstream, or you increased delayafterzap?

You're welcome!

Re: Freezing problems #5 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 4 September 2008 - 15:18

Do you use teletext caching or bulltext or any other subtitle program? Those might interfer with zapstream.
Note2self: Check that :).

Re: Freezing problems #6 wannaplay

• 164 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 4 September 2008 - 15:52

:)

I changed the delayafterzap. Zaptream was already enabled. I actually don't have any plug-ins installed at all besides n-grab start-stop.

Thank you for your help again! :)

Re: Freezing problems #7 wannaplay

• 164 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 8 September 2008 - 12:15

After a few days it's still working well and seems to have solved some other problems too.

Re: Freezing problems #8 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 8 September 2008 - 12:33

Superb :)

Maybe I should increase the default value to 2 sec. When someone wants to zap faster, they can decrease the value at their own risk.

What other problems did it solve? (As this might help other people with those problems)

Re: Freezing problems #9 wannaplay

• 164 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 8 September 2008 - 16:07

The db doesn't freeze any longer which was the main problem. Streaming preaty much works perfect weather it's from db to pc or pc to db. The movieplayer now plays movie streams first time, which was another annoying problem i was having, it also plays these streams over a second pc/server first time. That's all i can think of for now.

Mind you i have noticed freezes of streams from db to pc after a while of changing channels, it's better having a stream freeze than having the box freeze, at least you can re-start the stream without problems.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DM500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users