Photo

All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases.

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #181 dragnan

• 72 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 18 March 2021 - 18:14

This problem must be fixed by VU+ itself there is nothing Kodi can do about it. VU+ enable Kodi in the BSP but there is no sound.
VU+ needs to properly enable the ALSA support on there side and provide the audio devices in the kernel.

Some months ago, the dev/dsp device was added to vuultimo4k development branch. At that time, sound worked fine using alsa Oss plugin. Unfortunately the dev/dsp has been removed again. I just hope, it will be re enabled - but I have no clue how...

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #182 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,630 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 18 March 2021 - 18:41

Nothing has been removed, at least not consciously.

The only relevant commits I see are the ones from blzr on the 6th and 7th of February, with attempts to fix alsa on vu+.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #183 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,078 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 21 March 2021 - 08:39

You had the dsp enabled but we never understand how. Did you use OpenMultiboot on your box with another image installed?
Because for me those devices are never available nor on the Solo4K nor on the Duo4K.
So now you are also back to the "normal" situation.
And as already explained it is VU+ that needs to fix this. Vu+ enable Kodi in there BSP but we have no sound at all making it totally useless.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #184 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,278 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 21 March 2021 - 08:46

I just checked for Kodi on vu still manual adaptions are mandatory.... without you do not have good audio... so it seems alsa is not solved... the attempt did not help...

Edited by littlesat, 21 March 2021 - 08:47.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #185 dragnan

• 72 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 21 March 2021 - 11:42

You had the dsp enabled but we never understand how. Did you use OpenMultiboot on your box with another image installed?
Because for me those devices are never available nor on the Solo4K nor on the Duo4K.
And as already explained it is VU+ that needs to fix this. Vu+ enable Kodi in there BSP but we have no sound at all making it totally useless.

I never could have imagined, this could be the reason - but thanks for that hint.

I actually did have OMB installed - and OpenSPA - but I never imagined, there could be any connection between the two images. So I just tested it. If I install OMB and boot to OpenSPA - then turn off, remove  the USB Key and boot again, /dev/dsp is enabled and can be used for sound in Kodi.

So what makes this difference? I am aware, that the OpenPli team is not willing to do the manual adaptations - but is it possible to somehow hack this as a "normal" user? I really hate all the other images due to UI modifications. OpenPli is super clean and easy to use - the best image of them all. 

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #186 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,269 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 21 March 2021 - 12:25

I'm pretty sure the difference is oss emulation enabled in VU+ kernels in OE-A

https://forums.openp...-5#entry1308250

It's quite easy to check, if one only:
a) knows how to compile/build custom kernel/image
b] has the necessary hardware to test it
I unfortunately lack the later ;-)

Edited by blzr, 21 March 2021 - 12:25.

True sarcasm doesn't need green font...

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #187 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,278 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 21 March 2021 - 13:46

That is in the bsp from vu...

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #188 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,269 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 21 March 2021 - 13:50

sure, but if we'd have tested this and confirm it works, submitting PR to vu's bsp wouldn't be a problem, right?

True sarcasm doesn't need green font...

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #189 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,278 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 21 March 2021 - 14:57

When they merge it... it should not be a problem..:

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #190 ntj

• 71 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 March 2021 - 15:11

I never could have imagined, this could be the reason - but thanks for that hint.

I actually did have OMB installed - and OpenSPA - but I never imagined, there could be any connection between the two images. So I just tested it. If I install OMB and boot to OpenSPA - then turn off, remove  the USB Key and boot again, /dev/dsp is enabled and can be used for sound in Kodi.

So what makes this difference? I am aware, that the OpenPli team is not willing to do the manual adaptations - but is it possible to somehow hack this as a "normal" user? I really hate all the other images due to UI modifications. OpenPli is super clean and easy to use - the best image of them all. 

Have tried this today and can confirm that dev/dsp and dev/mixer shows up after power down and boot wihtout usb-stick as in Dragmans text.

However i will NOT have sound in KODI.

My test is with Openpli release from 20210315 on Ultimo4k

installed "opkg install libasound*" Have checked that i have alsa files in /usr/lib/alsa-lib and in /usr/share/alsa (as in openspa)

asound.conf also modified and looks correct

Have also tried with or without audio downmix

Tried bouth HDMI and Optical output.

Am i missing something compared what Dragman has done?

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #191 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,078 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 21 March 2021 - 16:05

The difference is that OpenMultiboot is not a true multiboot because you are using the kernel from the "main" image, so when you install another image into OpenMultiboot it just change some "directories" (kind of symbolic link).

So you were testing OpenPLi Kodi with the kernel build for OpentSPA (kernel that is patched to have such /dev/dsp ... devices).

So you can never conclude anything about an image when you are testing it with OpenMultiboot.

Only boxes that support true multiboot (boot managed by the bootloader) fully boot on the image you are choosing.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #192 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,078 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 21 March 2021 - 16:07

I actually did have OMB installed - and OpenSPA - but I never imagined, there could be any connection between the two images. So I just tested them. If I install OMB and boot to OpenSPA - then turn off, remove  the USB Key and boot again, /dev/dsp is enabled and can be used for sound in Kodi.

Have tried this today and can confirm that dev/dsp and dev/mixer shows up after power down and boot wihtout usb-stick as in Dragmans text.

installed "opkg install libasound*" Have checked that i have alsa files in /usr/lib/alsa-lib and in /usr/share/alsa (as in openspa)

Dragnan changed the default sound configuration file to force Kodi to use those devices files. By default it is not using them. Please read the thread to find the exact file name and parameters to set in it.

Edited by Pr2, 21 March 2021 - 16:08.

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #193 ntj

• 71 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 March 2021 - 16:17

I actually did have OMB installed - and OpenSPA - but I never imagined, there could be any connection between the two images. So I just tested them. If I install OMB and boot to OpenSPA - then turn off, remove  the USB Key and boot again, /dev/dsp is enabled and can be used for sound in Kodi.

Dragnan changed the default sound configuration file to force Kodi to use those devices files. By default it is not using them. Please read the thread to find the exact file name and parameters to set in it.

Do you mean this one?

/etc/asound.conf 

pcm.!default {
type oss
device
/dev/dsp
}

ctl.!default {
type oss
device
/dev/mixer
}

This is the one i have used.

Or are you writing about a different config?

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #194 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,078 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 22 March 2021 - 11:29

Indeed it is this one.

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #195 ntj

• 71 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 March 2021 - 11:45

Indeed it is this one.

Thank you for confirming this.

BUT since i was using it and have no sound, maybe Dragnan can comment if he does something more/different?

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #196 Piterek79

• 12 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 March 2021 - 12:13

Hi, posted on kodi forum in https://forum.kodi.t...php?tid=361496 

"They package Kodi and probably modify it in order to run on their exotic hardware and software stack thus they are the ones who should support their shit.

By looking at your log snippet one might think that alsa is somehow broken on your system, this is not Kodi problem but OS problem or even kernel problem, hard to tell without having the same hardware and software handy.
As I've already said before - refer to the people you get your software from for support."

Who should fix this finally ?

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #197 dragnan

• 72 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2021 - 17:43

Indeed it is this one.

BUT since i was using it and have no sound, maybe Dragnan can comment if he does something more/different?

Are the alsa Oss plugins in the correct folder?
Try to install alsa tools and play a wav file using the aplay command. Then write the output here.

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #198 ntj

• 71 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 March 2021 - 18:12

Indeed it is this one.

Try to install alsa tools and play a wav file using the aplay command. Then write the output here.

From my earlier post:

My test is with Openpli release from 20210315 on Ultimo4k

-------------
Dragnan wrote:

Do you mean something more than these folders with that question?

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #199 ntj

• 71 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 March 2021 - 20:34

Indeed it is this one.

Tried aplay and an wav-file and got this (but could not hear any sound)

Playing WAVE '/media/error.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 11025 Hz, Mono

Then opened KODI and tried alsa playing when KODI was running and got this:

ALSA lib ../../alsa-plugins-1.1.9/oss/pcm_oss.c:397:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Cannot open device /dev/dsp
aplay: main:828: audio open error: Device or resource busy
So ALSA seems to think it is playing and also alarms if i try to do things in parallell

Re: All Kodi related issues only in OpenPLi 8.0 and no previous releases. #200 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,630 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 22 March 2021 - 21:28

This is logical, you can't run Kodi and aplay at the same time, they both claim the ALSA device.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users