• Please log in to reply
2018 replies to this topic

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1921 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,931 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 16:51

I go back to 2012 and already there the description was wrong.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1922 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,931 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 16:51

Yes the problem is the text... .it does not say what it exactly is doing. The same likely for OpenVix.....

The option swaps what the skin does define.... So when the skin describes % on a place and dB on a different location and it is OFF it does what the skin defined... when enabled it swaps both.... When the tuner itself does not support dB you see the value always in %. This was made this way >15 years ago or something like that... So do not shoot me (unless I likely made it that way at that time). Somehow during these ages someone did made the description incorrectly..... 

Edited by littlesat, 18 July 2024 - 16:53.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1923 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,931 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 16:55

This was the original text

https://github.com/O.../data/setup.xml

<item level="2" text="Swap SNR in db with SNR in percentage on OSD">config.usage.swap_snr_on_osd</item>

Without long description at that time.... and that is what it is doing... (at that time all dreamboxes had dB and we had the table that could convert)

I could not find (yet) where it was changed...

Edited by littlesat, 18 July 2024 - 16:56.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1924 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,845 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 16:56

I go back to 2012 and already there the description was wrong.

Where is it wrong?

if the config key is false, dB should be displayed. if the config key is true, SNR % should be displayed.

This is exactly what the current xml text says ( "Show SNR % instead of dB value" ), both in OpenPLi and in OpenVIX, so I have no clue what you're on about.

edit: this is also what you say, and what you committed 13 years ago.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Ultimate (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1925 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,845 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 16:58

because it wasn't.

"Swap SNR in db with SNR in percentage on OSD" and "Show SNR % instead of dB value" say EXACTLY the same ?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Ultimate (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1926 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,931 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 17:01

It was pieterg that made the mistake here:

https://github.com/O...71645564d8bfdd1

Here the description first deviates from what it is really doing....it was from a time we were not forked by e.g. VIX yet... so the same mistake is still in VIX... or they adapt the code to it (and then something works differently there)

Brrrrr what a monster... the config says "SWAP" the description says show like dB and %... the code does swap dB and %.. so when the skin says % show dB and visa versa. What the description is now is not the same...

"Show SNR % instead of dB value" .... As this indicates one change... the config does also also show SNR dB instead of SNR % ...!..... What the description now suggest is show only % in both situation and never dB.... that is why it is 'swapped'.... so the user can always see the 'other' when the skin is capable to show both details. The trick is in the SWAP... as it does not change one thing... 

At that time openPLI tried (by pieterg's recommendations) to save the number of configs.... that is why a swap was chosen that time. (other images later blow up the number of configs).

Edited by littlesat, 18 July 2024 - 17:11.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1927 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,845 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 17:05

If the same mistake is in VIX, then VIX should also display it wrong. But it doesn't if I understand Huevos correctly.

I'm flashing OpenVIX now to confirm.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1928 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,931 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 17:13

If the same mistake is in VIX, then VIX should also display it wrong. But it doesn't if I understand Huevos correctly.

->

Maybe they adapt the code to the description... Then they can show dB in %,,, but % stay % as it is not swapped it does not change in dB then.... 

By the way... the text is changed for >12 years or so... and I never noted it....

Edited by littlesat, 18 July 2024 - 17:15.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1929 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,589 posts

+160
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 17:18

because it wasn't.

"Swap SNR in db with SNR in percentage on OSD" and "Show SNR % instead of dB value" say EXACTLY the same ?

The idea is to swap the argument in the skin. The default is don't swap. Neither dB, nor % is default. The setting is just about swapping irrespective of the preference of the skinner.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1930 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,845 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 17:27

I get that. But if I configure "don't swap", and you configure "don't swap", I expect the same being displayed in the same skin. Right?

I'm having issues testing OpenVIX, it keeps complaining that I don't have a network connection, which is bolloks as "opkg update" works sort of on the commandline ( I get error 4 on two of the feeds ).

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1931 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,589 posts

+160
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 17:29

I tried in PLi and if I select "don't swap" it does not swap, and vice versa.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1932 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,589 posts

+160
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 17:38

PLi:

text="Show SNR percentage instead of dB value" description="By default, SNR will be shown in dB (when supported by the tuner). This setting forces SNR to be shown as a percentage instead."

ViX:

text="Swap SNR in '&#37;' with SNR in 'db'" description="This option allows you to show the SNR as a percentage (not all receivers support this)."

In PLi the description is wrong because it says "dB" is the default, and the reality is the default is "don't swap".

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1933 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,845 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 17:39

I've got OpenVIX with DarkOS running now.

In PLi the description is wrong because it says "dB" is the default, and the reality is the default is "don't swap".

That may be up for debate.

This is a mess, especially since the setting isn't about a swap only, in OpenVIX it assumes that "no" means "SNR %" and "yes" means "SNR dB". And all OpenVIX skins, including the default ( which is yours! ), do it wrong too. Only DarkOS displays SNR % by default.

The culprit is Andy Blackburn, who reversed its meaning here: https://github.com/O...0a8a272453b9fb5. We still have the same meaning as originally intended by TMBinc.

So who fucked up here? And how are we going to clean up this mess?

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1934 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,589 posts

+160
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 17:41

Andy corrected the meaning. It is a swap based on skin setting. Always has been. The skinner decides what is displayed and the user can swap it if they choose.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1935 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,845 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 17:46

Found why OpenVIX doesn't find my network: it does a daft Google DNS check, and I block port 53 outgoing, as I run an internal DNS service on my firewall. @Huevos, you might want to revise that?

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1936 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,845 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 17:49

Andy corrected the meaning. It is a swap based on skin setting. Always has been. The skinner decides what is displayed and the user can swap it if they choose.

That is NOT what the setting says. Nor what the code does / did when the setting was introduced. The change of Andy reversed its meaning.

In OpenVIX is says "Swap SNR in "%" with SNR in "dB"" which clearly assumes that "No (don't swap)" means you see percentages, and "Yes (swap)" means you see dB's. No matter what skin you have loaded.

In OpenVIX, if I use DarkOS, I indeed see percentages when it is "No", but in the default skin, your skin, it displays "dBs" in the skin, while the setting suggests it should display percentages. The same is true in OpenPLi with DarkOS vs FullNight-HD.

So if it should work as you say, it should say something like "Toggle SNR display between % and dB"... which would indicate a reversal of whatever is default in the skin.

But I find this very confusing for end-users, and I am not in favour of it. All skins should default to dB's, as they have always done. And use this config value as it was always described, to swap dB's to %.

Andy fucked up, as he changed this 11 years ago, but no skin has ever implemented the swap of default display, until DarkOS now, and that is only because Dimitri develops on ATV, and only seen the fuck up...

Edited by WanWizard, 18 July 2024 - 17:56.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1937 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,931 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 17:52

This exactly is the case.... 

That may be up for debate.->

But there is one exception. When the tuner does not support dB -and- engima2 does not have a conversion to dB that abbreviates dB... then both values are in %...

In OpenVIX is says "Swap SNR in "%" with SNR in "dB"" which clearly assumes that "No" means you see percentages, and "Yes" means you see dB's. No matter what skin you have loaded.

-> It still swaps..... as you can have both fields.... But when you only see one in the standard infobar you're right... but there is more!

Edited by littlesat, 18 July 2024 - 17:56.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1938 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,589 posts

+160
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 17:53

In OpenVIX, if I use DarkOS, I indeed see percentages with it is "No", but in the default skin, your skin, it displays "dBs" in the skin, while the setting suggests it should display percentages.

Yes, which is what I said all along. The skinner decides. I even linked to it this morning. The default skin uses SNRdB and Dimitar skin uses SNR (%).

Edited by Huevos, 18 July 2024 - 17:54.

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1939 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,931 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 17:59

Something like this...?

text="Swap SNR in percentage with SNR in dB" description="This option allows you to show the SNR as a percentage were the skin intends to show SNR and show % as SNR where the skin intends to show % (not all receivers do support SNR in dB, then always % is shown)."

Re: [WIP] PLi-DarkOS Skin #1940 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,931 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2024 - 18:00

Yes, which is what I said all along. The skinner decides. I even linked to it this morning. The default skin uses SNRdB and Dimitar skin uses SNR (%).

->

In the additional info screen you can add to the infoBar in the E2OS skin you see the 'other' method.

[P.S. sorry that I do not use quote... it seems to behave strange...]

What a monster discussion..... I'm afraid this thread 'eliminates' all the between chair and keyboard interfaces by high rates and high blood pressure.......

Edited by littlesat, 18 July 2024 - 18:02.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users