Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Marko1305

• 181 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 30 August 2023 - 15:22

I don't know if it is a bug or I didn't configure something correctly. Would it be possible to switch the e2 receiver to standby when you change the tv source to other sources ( internal dvb t2, youtube etc)
Additionally would it be possible to turn on the e2 receiver from the standby when you switch the tv source to e2 receiver.

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #2 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,732 posts

+214
Excellent

Posted 30 August 2023 - 16:17

This has nothing to do with box. All of that would have to be in the HDMI-CEC settings on the TV (send 0x36 to HDMI-CEC, when is used internal tuner or stream from net and send 0x04 or 0x0d to selected input, when is used input ), and it's not there, in my opinion.

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #3 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,832 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 30 August 2023 - 16:17

If the TV sends those commands, it should be possible.

You can test this by installing the HDMItest plugin on the box, start it and press the yellow "monitor" button. it will show everything received and sent.

I've tested it here with my current test box (mutant HD66SE) and a Samsung multinorm TV, but doen't see much useful information.

You can use https://github.com/f...s/CEC_Specs.pdf (appendix CEC 15) to assit in decoding the commands if needed.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Ultimate (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,832 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 30 August 2023 - 16:21

This has nothing to do with box. All of that would have to be in the HDMI-CEC settings on the TV (send 0x36 to HDMI-CEC, when is used internal tuner or stream from net and send 0x04 or 0x0d to selected input, when is used input ), and it's not there, in my opinion.

I've checked here, but my TV doesn't seem to send anything useful.

I get this when I switch the TV from HDMI-1 to DVI-1:

Attached File  1_0_19_5225_C99_3_EB0000_0_0_0_20230830161840.jpg   56.73KB   1 downloads

And when I switch back:

Attached File  1_0_19_5225_C99_3_EB0000_0_0_0_20230830162004.jpg   58.23KB   1 downloads

In both cases only a routing change, from 0.0.0.0 to 0.0.0.0.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Ultimate (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #5 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,732 posts

+214
Excellent

Posted 30 August 2023 - 16:34

I think, TV will not to have some extra behaviour for it, imho...

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #6 Stan

• 352 posts

Neutral

Posted 30 August 2023 - 17:50

Which CEC document revision is implemented in the CEC on the box and in the HDMItest plugin?

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #7 Marko1305

• 181 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 31 August 2023 - 13:09

For me these 2 options don't work in hdmi cec settings: 1. forward volume keys (I can't control tv volume with receiver remote, it doesn't do anything) 2. Wakeup signal from TV, it doesn't wake up the receiver from standby, even when set to any activity. But receiver does go to the standby when tv gets turned off which is interesting.

Edited by Marko1305, 31 August 2023 - 13:12.

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,832 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 31 August 2023 - 13:16

There is no set list of commands a device supports, nor any requirement to do so. So it is very hit and miss.

As for point 2:

install the HDMItest plugin, press the yellow button to enter monitor mode, then switch the TV off, and on again, then check if the TV had sent any command.

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #9 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,147 posts

+261
Excellent

Posted 31 August 2023 - 13:18

Finding the right HDMI-CEC settings is sometimes tricky.

1. Forward volume keys:  this option is working if you have an amplifier between the STB and the TV, I can increase and decrease the volume with this option. But very few TV support it directly unfortunately.

Edited by Pr2, 31 August 2023 - 13:18.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #10 Marko1305

• 181 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 31 August 2023 - 13:25

There is no set list of commands a device supports, nor any requirement to do so. So it is very hit and miss.

As for point 2:

install the HDMItest plugin, press the yellow button to enter monitor mode, then switch the TV off, and on again, then check if the TV had sent any command.

it sends standby command when turned off and a lot of commands when turned on like give physical adress, vendor report etc

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #11 Marko1305

• 181 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 31 August 2023 - 13:26

Finding the right HDMI-CEC settings is sometimes tricky.

1. Forward volume keys: this option is working if you have an amplifier between the STB and the TV, I can increase and decrease the volume with this option. But very few TV support it directly unfortunately.

That's nice explanation

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #12 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,832 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 31 August 2023 - 13:28

it sends standby command when turned off and a lot of commands when turned on like give physical adress, vendor report etc

If you can post the screenshot of what it is sending, maybe we can give you some pointers as to your config, or if a bug, fix it.

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #13 Marko1305

• 181 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 31 August 2023 - 13:36

Ok here it isb46e7fb0af46c4d6eccc1bc784fd4fb4.jpg

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #14 Stan

• 352 posts

Neutral

Posted 31 August 2023 - 14:14

[...] Would it be possible to switch the e2 receiver to standby when you change the tv source to other sources ( internal dvb t2, youtube etc) [...]

Does the TV send a CEC command when you change the input source? This is what you should log.

[...]Additionally would it be possible to turn on the e2 receiver from the standby when you switch the tv source to e2 receiver. [...]

Can you switch the TV-set to the HDMI input if the receiver is in standby? What CEC commands does the TV send in this case?

Edited by Stan, 31 August 2023 - 14:20.

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #15 Marko1305

• 181 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 31 August 2023 - 14:22

[...] Would it be possible to switch the e2 receiver to standby when you change the tv source to other sources ( internal dvb t2, youtube etc) [...]

Does the TV send a CEC command when you change the input source? This is what you should log.

[...]Additionally would it be possible to turn on the e2 receiver from the standby when you switch the tv source to e2 receiver. [...]

Can you switch the TV-set to the HDMI input if the receiver is in standby? What CEC commands does the TV send in this case?
This is the log for a different problem (Tv can't wakeup receiver from standby)

Edited by Marko1305, 31 August 2023 - 14:23.

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #16 Marko1305

• 181 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 31 August 2023 - 14:28

The first picture is when I switch the tv source from the receiver to a different source and the second is when I switch back to the receiver.dc349e547a0f66f38105b6e56035f158.jpg652c6586e901a21b9dfc1671bc69dfbf.jpg

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #17 Marko1305

• 181 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 31 August 2023 - 14:31

"Can you switch the TV-set to the HDMI input if the receiver is in standby? What CEC commands does the TV send in this case?"

If the receiver is in standby then the hdmi test can't monitor sent commands, if I am correct? I can switch to the receiver's input source even when it's in standby but I can't monitor sent commands then, only if there are some settings to manipulate tv to think that receiver is in standby?

Edit: I know this isn't directly related but I have an android box running linuxos with kodi only "coreelec" and when I change the source input to a different one from the android box it pauses playback so there is potential that something similar could be done.

Edited by Marko1305, 31 August 2023 - 14:39.

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #18 Stan

• 352 posts

Neutral

Posted 31 August 2023 - 14:34

To log the commands in standby, restart Enigma in debug mode. Then switch the receiver to standby.

Repeat the test sequence with the TV. Then restart Enigma in standard mode.

Hopefully all CEC commands will be available in the Enigma debug log.

But I am missing the big picture. What else is connected to the TV? And why would you want this particular setting?

Edited by Stan, 31 August 2023 - 14:40.

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #19 Marko1305

• 181 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 31 August 2023 - 14:41

To log the commands in standby, restart Enigma in debug mode. Then switch the receiver to standby.
Repeat the test sequence with the TV. Then restart Enigma in standard mode.
Hopefully all CEC commands will be available in the Enigma debug log.

But we miss the big picture. What else is connected to the TV? And why would you want this particular setting?

Currently nothing else connected to the tv via hdmi (android box is on a different tv right now), but I have dvb t2 connected to the tv and other tv apps like youtube browser etc. I want this setting because it saves power and prevents the receiver from unnecessary overheating if it is always on. (I am speaking about the feature in the threads title, to switch receiver to standby mode when source input is changed)

Edited by Marko1305, 31 August 2023 - 14:43.

Re: Hdmi Cec switch to standby after source change #20 Stan

• 352 posts

Neutral

Posted 31 August 2023 - 14:44

Have you tried the other way around? So that the receiver switches the TV-set on and off?

By that, you could really save power, because you can put the receiver in deep stand-by.

Edited by Stan, 31 August 2023 - 14:45.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users