Streaming to PC question!

DM500

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Nikkisiixx

• 35 posts

Neutral

Posted 25 January 2010 - 22:33

I just installed the new Jade3 Enigma 1 to my dreambox, now when i'm trying to stream to the pc stream is lagging.

Before I installed I had an old image and the stream worked great. No lagging what so ever. So it can't be that my connection is to slow.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there any plugin I need or something?

What can be wrong?

Kind Regards Nikkii

Re: Streaming to PC question! #2 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 25 January 2010 - 22:36

What do you mean by "lagging"? An one time delay of a second is normal because the video is buffered.
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: http://openpli.org/wiki

Re: Streaming to PC question! #3 Nikkisiixx

• 35 posts

Neutral

Posted 25 January 2010 - 22:57

not talking about delay, the picture freezes for a couple of seconds.

than playing again, then another freeze.

It's not watchable. Before the Jade3 pli upgrade , the streaming quality was all good. With no picture freeze.

Re: Streaming to PC question! #4 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 25 January 2010 - 23:07

I can't remember the changes before Jade3 but nothing real has been changed. Maybe other things are changed? Like VLC version, PC, network switches etc.
By the way, the DM500 has a bad network interface and getting it really perfect is difficult. If you want to be sure, reflash to Jade2. The latest OpenPLi is an option too, but I'm not aware of any streaming changes too.
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: http://openpli.org/wiki

Re: Streaming to PC question! #5 Nikkisiixx

• 35 posts

Neutral

Posted 25 January 2010 - 23:12

No, nothing like that have changed. Stream worked fine yesterday before the new pLi .

Is there no streaming plugins or something ? the video stream is now sending video in raw format right?

Can you change that or something? so it's converting to a "lighter" format?

Re: Streaming to PC question! #6 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:24

Do you use zapstream or not? In other words, do you stream on port 31344(zapstream) or 31339(streamts)?

Re: Streaming to PC question! #7 Nikkisiixx

• 35 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:49

I have zapstream on right now.

Zapstream wasn't available on my previous image, when the stream worked.

Re: Streaming to PC question! #8 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 26 January 2010 - 13:02

Zapstream is supposed to make streaming better. But if it doesn't work for you, you can disable it in 'system settings' -> 'webinterface'.

Re: Streaming to PC question! #9 Nikkisiixx

• 35 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 January 2010 - 13:47

somehow the pLi image made the streaming worse, had a 3 year old image before. And the picture was great, but you had to turn on and off everytime you wanted to change channels.

Well, it's weird.

Re: Streaming to PC question! #10 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 26 January 2010 - 13:58

I noticed a degradation in streaming performance as the years went by. But I do not believe this is PLi specific. I guess it is something in the drivers.
To make streaming better I developed zapstream. The general response is that zapstream improves the streaming significantly (in my experience it is almost perfect, glitches are rare). Too bad it doesn't work for you.

Re: Streaming to PC question! #11 Nikkisiixx

• 35 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 January 2010 - 19:41

Hm, is there no way let the dreambox stream in a better (lighter) format? Originally it's streaming in RAW I guess and that format takes up alot of bandwith.

Can't you decode or something? So you can stream to a pc that is not in your LAN.

Re: Streaming to PC question! #12 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 26 January 2010 - 22:49

Technically it might be possible, but there is no practical software to do this today. Due to the limited processing power of the box it is easier to just stream the original format.

But maybe I can help with zapstream. If you enable the logfile, by enabling it in /var/etc/zapstream.conf, I can take a look.
These options must be enabled:
logfile=/hdd/zapstream.log
logreadspeed=1
logwritespeed=1

Re: Streaming to PC question! #13 Nikkisiixx

• 35 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:20

I have now enabled those in my config, what is the next step?

I guess you must see the logfile, but how do I give that to you?Where can I see the logfile?

Thank you for your time.

Re: Streaming to PC question! #14 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:55

Stream some services, zap a few times (to fill the log). The logfile will be /hdd/zapstream.log. You can use ftp to get if off the box. Attach to your next post.

(Note that you can not attach a file to a post if you use "quick reply". Use the regular "post reply" button, between "track this thread by email" and "new thread".)

Re: Streaming to PC question! #15 Nikkisiixx

• 35 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 January 2010 - 14:57

Hm I've done what you said, but when I go to file mood on my dreambox then HDD, I can't find a log.

Re: Streaming to PC question! #16 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 27 January 2010 - 16:12

You did stream using zapstream?

To be sure open vlc and open a network connection to http://ip-of-your-dream:31344

You do use vlc, don't you?

Re: Streaming to PC question! #17 Nikkisiixx

• 35 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 January 2010 - 16:29

Yes I do use vlc. Is there another program that works? The streaming buffers up fast on vlc but 5 seconds in the picture freezes. And then it starts, and then freeze (yeah you understand)

Yes I used ZAPstream, I will now go home to my dreambox and test if I can find the log. You see i'm streaming to my house, and dreambox is located at my parents. This worked great before the new image. Guess I said that.

I found one program on the internet that does work without lagg or freeze, Here you can read about it http://www.digital-k...asy-like-45719/ But it have some bugs, sometimes you need to restart your CPU to get sound etc. And sound doesn't work on every channel.

Re: Streaming to PC question! #18 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 27 January 2010 - 17:15

When you're streaming in a lan (at your parents), everythings works fine I guess?
Wow, your parents must have some serious internetconnection, with an uploadspeed of at least 6Mbit/s to make this work. If not, the picture will freeze every few seconds.

Oh right, you're using a transcoding application and the transcoding application is using zapstream? In that case you shouldn't start vlc with http://ip-of-your-dream:31344, as it will stream the raw stream over the internet.

Re: Streaming to PC question! #19 Nikkisiixx

• 35 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 January 2010 - 19:19

No I dont't use that program, or at least I didn't. Before installing the the new image on my dreambox I watched my dreambox from the regular web-x to my pc at my home. In RAW.

Yes they have good connection, 10 mbit up and 10 down.

I have 100mbit up and down, so we're not talking about pour internet connection here. I think.

I mean seriously if it worked 2 days ago, just with another Image. It should't be impossible to fix this. Too bad the software I linked in my last post have some serious bugs.

Yes it works fine when i'm streaming to my mothers computer in the lan. But I haven't tried mine yet.

About the log files, I haven't solved that one yet. Can't find it. I'm not an rocket scientiest when it comes to computers.

Tomorow I hope to figure that one out.

And again, thank you for taking the time.

Re: Streaming to PC question! #20 Nikkisiixx

• 35 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 January 2010 - 22:22

I got it to work, don't know about zapstream. But I just got it to work in VLC like the old days. Only problem is that I have to zap a few times to get the stream running.

At least now I know it doesn't necessary have anything to do with bandwith.

Don't think I got zapstream enabled, will try with that tomorrow.

I went to plugins on my dreambox and downloaded something called vnc, but does that plugin have anything to do with streaming? I just tested something by chance. Ran out of options.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DM500

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users