BackupSuite

• Please log in to reply
1306 replies to this topic

Re: BackupSuite #81 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:03

I made some changes in the BackupSuite to tackle the problem about root_cfe_auto.bin.
But I'm not sure if I can distribute the new version because of the problem Jooe is suffering.

Is there anybody who can confirm this problem?
Satkiekerd had no problem restoring the image.

Is one of the Dev's able to comment on this issue, what is going wrong or what am I doing wrong?

Re: BackupSuite #82 kleinerjunge

• 167 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:43

I could restore the image also without problems after renaming the file from .jffs2 to .bin

cu
KJ

Re: BackupSuite #83 jooe

• 31 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 18 January 2013 - 21:18

I could restore the image also without problems after renaming the file from .jffs2 to .bin

cu
KJ

Are U try to install other image?
Not backupped one?

Re: BackupSuite #84 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:10

I have some troubles with solo2 backup
First kernel_cfe_auto.bin is too big (7.34MB)

I was restore backuped image, but now I can't flash my box with any other image, it's show on display that all Is Ok (reading/erasing/programming/update), but after reboot I always have my restored from backup image in my box :(
Any idea how I can flash it with original (or any other) image?

First of all: the kernel isn't too big. I made backups of the Solo2 from several images, and all my kernels are 7.340.032 bytes.
Secondly: The Solo2 also flashes from the internal HDD. That means that if a flashable image is present on the HDD (wich will be the case using the backup suite) the box will flash that image (even though the VFD reports to be reading USB).
I flashed and restored numerous images (including PLi using the backup suite) and found no problems in this area.

Re: BackupSuite #85 jooe

• 31 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:04

I have some troubles with solo2 backup
First kernel_cfe_auto.bin is too big (7.34MB)

I was restore backuped image, but now I can't flash my box with any other image, it's show on display that all Is Ok (reading/erasing/programming/update), but after reboot I always have my restored from backup image in my box :(
Any idea how I can flash it with original (or any other) image?

First of all: the kernel isn't too big. I made backups of the Solo2 from several images, and all my kernels are 7.340.032 bytes.
Secondly: The Solo2 also flashes from the internal HDD. That means that if a flashable image is present on the HDD (wich will be the case using the backup suite) the box will flash that image (even though the VFD reports to be reading USB).
I flashed and restored numerous images (including PLi using the backup suite) and found no problems in this area.

U are absolutely right. Thanks a lot for info.

It was hard to imagine that such a conflict is possible, on my Vu + Ultimo this problem never existed.
vuplus folder with backup files created by Backupsuite on hdd was a problem. After delete it from hdd, my fox was flashed without any problem.

Just a note for info:
Also, if the vuplus folder on the USB have some missing from vuplus folder on HDD files (f.e. initrd_cfe_auto.bin, splash_cfe_auto.bin) during upgrade, missed files installs from USB, and kernel with image binary from hdd :)

@Pedro_Newbie

Maybe it's better do not create an extra vuplus folder on /hdd for vu+solo2 using Your Backupsuite?

Re: BackupSuite #86 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:10

Just a note for info:
Also, if the vuplus folder on the USB have some missing from vuplus folder on HDD files (f.e. initrd_cfe_auto.bin, splash_cfe_auto.bin) during upgrade, missed files installs from USB, and kernel with image binary from hdd :)

The box flashes fine without the initrd-file. As far as I know nobody knows why that file would be needed for a backup (or any other flash).

Re: BackupSuite #87 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 19 January 2013 - 16:40

@Pedro_Newbie
Maybe it's better do not create an extra vuplus folder on /hdd for vu+solo2 using Your Backupsuite?

Why not, if you don't want it on your HDD you'll have to choose for the USB only option.
I think there are plenty Solo2 users who like the ability to flash from the last working back-up from harddisk.

I'm glad there is no big f*ck up with the BackupSuite.

Here's the last version with the correct naming of the root_cfe_auto.bin.

All thanks for testing!

Attached Files

Re: BackupSuite #88 vu+uno

• 9 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:05

Pedro_Newbie >>> V+ UNO,ULTIMO,DUO have bugs with last BS 11.9 ---> create backup, but after installation backup image working incorrectly (freezes). Last good working BS 11.7

PLS fix !!!

Edited by vu+uno, 18 February 2013 - 12:09.

Vu+Uno > OpenPLi-3.0-beta > Wicardd-1.14

Re: BackupSuite #89 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 18 February 2013 - 16:55

Are you sure that 11.8 does not work correct, because between 11.7 and 11.8 there are no big differences.
I will try to look into it tonight or tomorrow night.

Are there any other users experiencing this problem?

Re: BackupSuite #90 speed

• 420 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 February 2013 - 16:59

so lets say i ever wanna restore the backuo thats located on my harddisk duo + solo2
how i would then start restoring from the harddisk?

Edited by speed, 18 February 2013 - 17:00.

Re: BackupSuite #91 vu+uno

• 9 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 18 February 2013 - 17:29

Are you sure that 11.8 does not work correct

...yes....ps thanks....all waiting fix

Re: BackupSuite #92 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 18 February 2013 - 19:31

so lets say i ever wanna restore the backuo thats located on my harddisk duo + solo2
how i would then start restoring from the harddisk?

As far as I know if you place an USB-stick with an image and restart your receiver then the image on the HDD is used to flash.
I saw that at VU+ they made a commit with the description:
fix update problem(solo2:skip HDD when checking update file)
So I don't know if it is fixed (and if so if it is only for the OI)

Re: BackupSuite #93 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,010 posts

+338
Excellent

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:58

Pedro_Newbie
For information ...
Today i made ​​a backup of a plugin Fullbackup(ver. 2.2) for vu + Ultimo.
No problems, the backup was restored.

GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Solo 4K

Re: BackupSuite #94 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,269 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:11

Are you sure that 11.8 does not work correct, because between 11.7 and 11.8 there are no big differences.
I will try to look into it tonight or tomorrow night.

Are there any other users experiencing this problem?

hi @Pedro,
didn't test it myself on my duo, but on another forum I saw several complaints concerning an unbootable /?/ or 'freezing after some time after restoring' backup made with 11.9 version (for ultimo), so it looks like a general issue...
and concerning your dutch section question:
http://openpli.org/f...fs-f-parameter/
I think you might be onto something...

What is the the purpose of the -F (--space-fixup) mkfs.ubifs option?

Because of subtle ECC errors that can arise when programming NAND flash (see here), ubiformat is the recommended way of flashing a UBI image which contains a UBIFS file system. However, this is not always possible - for example, some embedded devices are manufactured using an industrial NAND flash programmer which has no knowledge of UBI or UBIFS.

The -F option causes mkfs.ubifs to set a special flag in the superblock, which triggers a "free space fixup" procedure in the kernel the very first time the filesystem is mounted. This fixup procedure involves finding all empty pages in the UBIFS file system and re-erasing them. This ensures that NAND pages which contain all 0xFF data get fully erased, which removes any problematic non-0xFF data from their OOB areas.

Of course it is not possible to re-erase individual NAND pages, and entire PEBs are erased. UBIFS performs this procedure by reading the useful (non 0xFF'ed) contents of LEBs and then invoking the atomic LEB change UBI operation. Obviously, this means that UBIFS has to read and write a lot of LEBs which takes time. But this happens only once, and the "free space fixup" procedure then unsets the "fixup" UBIFS superblock flag.

This option is supported if you are running a kernel version 3.0 or higher, or if you have pulled the changes from a UBIFS back-port tree. Note that ubiformat is still the preferred flashing method if the image is not being flashed for the first time, since it preserves existing erase counters (while using nandwrite or its equivalent does not).

True sarcasm doesn't need green font...

Re: BackupSuite #95 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:17

I reverted the parameter back to -F and made a new version. I send a test version to vu+uno with the request to test it. I will distribute the version tonight when I'm at home back from work (first test it myself a few times)
I also had a few issues with the restore of images made with 11.9

Re: BackupSuite #96 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 19 February 2013 - 15:49

Here's the new version with the parameter placed back in place. I tested a back-up and restored it without problems

Attached Files

Re: BackupSuite #97 vu+uno

• 9 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 19 February 2013 - 17:04

All so good like before....Thanks !

Re: BackupSuite #98 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 19 February 2013 - 17:34

I did send you a personal message yesterday evening, look at the envelop top right in your screen

Re: BackupSuite #99 vu+uno

• 9 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 19 February 2013 - 19:49

:( I just saw only today...

Re: BackupSuite #100 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 19 February 2013 - 20:00