DVD UDF AUDIO CD ISO CDIO

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

Re: Physical CD/DVD support enigma2. #161 christophecvr

• 3,131 posts

+140
Excellent

Posted 4 April 2017 - 13:13

We'll ask VU+ to modify the bb file. I assume this is also true for the other VU+ models?

Yes , unfortunately there is a but about using extrenal usb dvd/cd drives ,

1) The usb power supply off the duo2 is not enough for such devices ,

If You do not add the external power supply (mostly the devices do have a plug which makes that possible in the retail package but not the power supply self , what can be used as power supply is the apple ipad (not iphone that is to weak) power recharge        supply)

2) If You restart the stb , You need to first remove the dvd or cd , unplug the extra extrenal power other wise there is a risk of a race condition during boot (ocationally but it may and does happen) .

My conclusion is that this is now the reason why it is not included by default , A very experienced user is needed rather a beta tester with good usb and linux knowledge to let it work , so not very stable.

And alternatif could be using a powered usb hub which also cut off the power from an end device up on restart or reboot , those exist but are difficult to find. Of course the manufacturer could have made his stb with a better power supply but a real good power supply on a vuduo2 will directly increase the hardware by +- 100 E so ....... That is only for the parts, the current power supply in a duo2 is very cheap pretty low level for such a high rank stb.

Edited by christophecvr, 4 April 2017 - 13:14.

Re: Physical CD/DVD support enigma2. #162 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,543 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 4 April 2017 - 13:17

Most STB's don't provide the 500mA the USB port should deliver according to the standard, using an externally powered hub for this kind of stuff (also includes USB harddisks) is essential.

And I agree, on the power supply front, the Duo's (both) have a pretty shoddy reputation.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Physical CD/DVD support enigma2. #163 christophecvr

• 3,131 posts

+140
Excellent

Posted 4 April 2017 - 15:22

Yes to cheap power supplies is not only a vu+ problem but quit general by all stb's (funny it was one of the things which by a real original dreambox was always good ) at least by all the dreamboxes I have used this are off course only the 7020, the 7020 s and the dm8000 , but as for the power supply they are a real school example of how the power supply should be for every stb. Unfortunately they screwed up with other things like to low ram and on the dm8000 no hdmi but that ... . They where also expensive , but there everyone may say what he want the hardware parts used are off a good till very good quality and much more then all the other stb's, for that it's a shame off the far to low ram and missing hdmi on a dm8000. 

But today many stb's are sold really below the price of a what only a real quality power supply cost. As this is much more expensive then the main arm cpu they put in self. That looks to be one of the serious problems in general by a lot of devices to day , a good power supply is one of the things using base hardware parts who did not dropped in price in time like all the rest.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD, UDF, AUDIO CD, ISO, CDIO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users