• Please log in to reply
998 replies to this topic

Re: Language assistance requested... #641 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,345 posts

+121
Excellent

Posted 3 September 2018 - 11:39

Users want a maximum font size, because it's easier to read. At the same time, they want to see all symbols.
Therefore, the size depends on the largest number of characters in keys.

It would be optimal for each key to have approximately the same number of characters.
I understand that it can not be created in all cases, but it should be tried.

Re: Language assistance requested... #642 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,345 posts

+121
Excellent

Posted 3 September 2018 - 13:44

In NumericalTextInput I have always been hurt when I due to dealy miss the required letter. Need to repeat on the ring to use the right one. And the more symbols, the longer you need to repeat.
Perhaps also in NumericalTextInput you can have multiple layouts, for basic letters and for special characters.
But you need to think how to show the ability to switch between these layouts, in a user-friendly way.

Re: Language assistance requested... #643 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 3 September 2018 - 14:04

Hi Taapat,

NumericalTextInput is only for character input.  It has no modes or controls that can allow for a change of keymaps.  All non numeric buttons are sent to the calling code and not used by NumericalTextInput so what you suggest is not easy to do and would probably change the code too much to be a drop in replacement.

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #644 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 3 September 2018 - 14:23

In NumericalTextInput I have always been hurt when I due to dealy miss the required letter. Need to repeat on the ring to use the right one.

That is indeed a PitA, and one of the reasons to avoid the NumericalTextInput whenever possible.

Re: Language assistance requested... #645 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,345 posts

+121
Excellent

Posted 3 September 2018 - 16:41

That is indeed a PitA, and one of the reasons to avoid the NumericalTextInput whenever possible.

Exactly. This is the reason why I also chose to use VirtualKeyBoard as much as possible, but by default always suggest NumericalTextInput because it is usually an extension to an existing screen rather than a new VirtualKeyBoard screen :(.

Edited by Taapat, 3 September 2018 - 16:41.

Re: Language assistance requested... #646 zeros

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,635 posts

+61
Good

Posted 3 September 2018 - 16:52

I tested #636
Estonian keyboard now OK!
Russian keyboard NOK, but I don't know how to give advice. Some letter are double Cyrillic and Latin!
Latvian  -OK (IMHO)

Polish - OK (IMHO)

Greek - like the English keyboard.

Lithuanian as the English keyboard.

With Estonian I am pleased  :)

Attached Files

DM920UHD DVB-S2X TRIPLE tuner + Triple M.S tuner DVB-S2X, DVB-T2/T, QboxHD, QboxHD Mini, Icecrypt T2300HD,
Qviart Lunix3 4K, Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB & 8GB

Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz

Re: Language assistance requested... #647 zeros

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,635 posts

+61
Good

Posted 3 September 2018 - 18:26

Just to be information that I restored the system, and the Russian language keyboard is initially the same way. So I don't know what to say, I may have to suggest that you don't touch it until someone else wants it.

DM920UHD DVB-S2X TRIPLE tuner + Triple M.S tuner DVB-S2X, DVB-T2/T, QboxHD, QboxHD Mini, Icecrypt T2300HD,

Re: Language assistance requested... #648 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 4 September 2018 - 03:23

Hi Zeros,

Just to be information that I restored the system, and the Russian language keyboard is initially the same way. So I don't know what to say, I may have to suggest that you don't touch it until someone else wants it.

Hopefully someone can point a Russian speaker to the code and get them to proof read it so that the corrections can be made.  I don't want to offend Russian users with any errors in their language.

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #649 zeros

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,635 posts

+61
Good

Posted 4 September 2018 - 05:50

My opinion is that perhaps the Russian people need in parallel both Latin and Cyrillic, I do not know. Or could there be a switch for this purpose? (Cyrillic and default English). Because I imagine that on YouTube with the search, they also need Latin letters. It would not be a concern to leave only Cyrillic, but if people would like it, that's the question.

Re: Language assistance requested... #650 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 4 September 2018 - 07:29

Hi,

It seems like change requests for VirtualKeyBoard are slowing down so I will organise to make another catch up pull request to bring in the latest changes.  If anyone has any other changes they want added please post the details here ASAP.

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #651 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 4 September 2018 - 07:50

Hi,

Are there any objections or problems with my filing a pull request for NumericalTextInput?

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #652 zeros

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,635 posts

+61
Good

Posted 4 September 2018 - 08:16

Not by me, let's go.

Re: Language assistance requested... #653 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 4 September 2018 - 17:09

Hi,

NumericalTextInput.py and associated NUMERICALTEXTINPUT documentation have now been raised to the Dev repository.

(Some of the reasons for some of the changes in this code won't be apparent until you see the new config.py code that will use some of these new options.)

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #654 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,746 posts

+214
Excellent

Posted 4 September 2018 - 19:34

Why was changed CZ layout ?

Always is: all basic chars lowercase, then number, then others lowercase chars with diacritic and then all uppercases

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: Language assistance requested... #655 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,345 posts

+121
Excellent

Posted 4 September 2018 - 20:14

Exactly the same is in Latvian "lv_LV"!
Why you changed the order by ignoring the correct, as it was before?

Edited by Taapat, 4 September 2018 - 20:14.

Re: Language assistance requested... #656 zeros

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,635 posts

+61
Good

Posted 5 September 2018 - 00:03

I just updated and all OK with Estonian keyboard. I can't quite understand the previous concerns, is there on large keyboard the queue is wrong?

Right now it looks like in case Latvia:

1) Lower case 2) Upper case 3) Special 1

And you want:

1) Lower case 2) 'Special 1' 3) Upper case

Let me get this straight.

Re: Language assistance requested... #657 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 5 September 2018 - 03:12

Hi Zeros,

While it is not clear I believe that Ims and Taapat are commenting on the refactored NumericalTextInput.

It is a shame that they waited until the code was merged before voicing their issues.  The code is almost identical the the sample versions I posted here for review and comments BEFORE the code was submitted.

Anyway, the order for some languages was changed to make all the languages uniform in presentation.  It seems that most languages present all the lower case letters then the digit then all the upper case letters.  I simply followed that pattern.  This change also meant that the new search options were similarly presented so that user expectation of where to find the characters would be comparable, similar and hopefully become familiar.

I trust that this answers why the changes were made.

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #658 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,345 posts

+121
Excellent

Posted 5 September 2018 - 06:32

The Latvian language needs to be in alphabetical order, as it was before.
When entering letters, the user expects exactly the following sequence, not the mechanical sequence.

Why do you change the correct sequence if you absolutely do not understand anything in this language?

Re: Language assistance requested... #659 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,746 posts

+214
Excellent

Posted 5 September 2018 - 06:47

"abc2ABC" is standard for all languages, yes. And because chars with diacritic are used much less in words, are placed after number (lowercase) and on end of upercase.

Same is for german keyboard ... abc2äABCÄ and not abcä2ABCÄ.

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: Language assistance requested... #660 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,345 posts

+121
Excellent

Posted 5 September 2018 - 06:52

But in Latvian it is necessary in alphabetical order "aābcč2AĀBCČ".
Anyone knows the alphabet, so you can enter the letters blindly

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users