• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

Re: IMDB plugin issues #61 scriptmelvin †

• PLi® Contributor
  • 720 posts

+46
Good

Posted 25 September 2022 - 12:15

no need to make it compatible with python2.

But the fixes/changes are already done. I now have one file (plugin.py) that works on python2 and python3. So can I PR this file on both branches?
Sorry to inform you this member, my brother, passed away.

Re: IMDB plugin issues #62 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,554 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 25 September 2022 - 12:25

If it works for both, yes.

For 8.3-release also the SRCREV needs to be bumped: https://github.com/O...orefs.conf#L217

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: IMDB plugin issues #63 scriptmelvin †

• PLi® Contributor
  • 720 posts

+46
Good

Posted 25 September 2022 - 14:43

master: Fix slowness and missing user review #815

I don't know how to handle python3. When I create a branch python3-fix from python3, it says: This branch is 180 commits ahead, 3 commits behind OpenPLi:master.

Re: IMDB plugin issues #64 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,554 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 25 September 2022 - 17:38

You can only fork a repo once.

So in your local development copy, you need to switch to the pyhton3 branch, update it, and push the changes. And then create a PR from those.

Or do what I do: clone your repo twice, one for master, and one for python3. Then you don't have to switch between both.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: IMDB plugin issues #65 scriptmelvin †

• PLi® Contributor
  • 720 posts

+46
Good

Posted 25 September 2022 - 18:28

I have no local clone, I do everything on github. At the time I forked enigma2-plugins, there was no python3 branch. So I create one from the upstream python3:

Attached File  create-branch.png   24.89KB   1 downloads

I now have an up to date python3 branch:

Attached File  python3-up-to-date.png   13.62KB   1 downloads

I read somewhere that it is best to apply fixes to a copy of a branch and PR from there to avoid problems like "1 commit ahead and 1 commit behind" after the PR merge. So I create a branch python3-fix from python3. I now have this:

Attached File  python3-fix.png   34.01KB   1 downloads

and I don't know how to proceed. Sync fork?

Re: IMDB plugin issues #66 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,244 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 25 September 2022 - 19:38

Once you have your work committed to a feature branch on your fork just go to the official repo and create a pull request from the feature branch.

Re: IMDB plugin issues #67 scriptmelvin †

• PLi® Contributor
  • 720 posts

+46
Good

Posted 25 September 2022 - 19:57

Yes, I've done that before and had no problems. The issue here is that once I create the feature branch (python3-fix) from an up-to-date branch in my fork (python), the feature branch is severely out of date with OpenPLi:master. I would expect a feature branch created from an up-to-date branch to also be up-to-date.

Re: IMDB plugin issues #68 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,244 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 25 September 2022 - 21:21

Just send it to the Python3 branch. If necessary someone can pick the commit into master branch.

Re: IMDB plugin issues #69 scriptmelvin †

• PLi® Contributor
  • 720 posts

+46
Good

Posted 25 September 2022 - 22:02

Thanks @Huevos, that worked.

python3: Fix slowness and missing user review #816

I still would like to understand why my feature branch is so different from the branch it was created from.

Re: IMDB plugin issues #70 scriptmelvin †

• PLi® Contributor
  • 720 posts

+46
Good

Posted 25 September 2022 - 22:11

And the 8.3-release pinning: [imdb] update pinning #1127

Re: IMDB plugin issues #71 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,244 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 25 September 2022 - 22:26

By the way, have a look at this commit. Works really well.

https://github.com/o...9fd1f5781db39d0

Re: IMDB plugin issues #72 scriptmelvin †

• PLi® Contributor
  • 720 posts

+46
Good

Posted 25 September 2022 - 22:46

That looks good. I'll check it out on the box soon.

Re: IMDB plugin issues #73 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,244 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 26 September 2022 - 00:09

Needs this fix too: https://github.com/o...a230e316ede2392

Re: IMDB plugin issues #74 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,554 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 26 September 2022 - 11:16

Yes, I've done that before and had no problems. The issue here is that once I create the feature branch (python3-fix) from an up-to-date branch in my fork (python), the feature branch is severely out of date with OpenPLi:master. I would expect a feature branch created from an up-to-date branch to also be up-to-date.

Of course it is, the pyhon3 branch is very different from the master branch, you can't create a feature branch from python3, and then expect to be able to push it to master, that will also push all python3 changes in that branch., not only your change.

Re: IMDB plugin issues #75 scriptmelvin †

• PLi® Contributor
  • 720 posts

+46
Good

Posted 26 September 2022 - 12:08

But I don't want it to push to master.

When I PR to python3 branch it works as expected and it wants to push one change (mine) to python3 branch.

When I create feature branch python3-fix from python3 branch and PR there it wants to push 180 changes to master branch.

Why?

Re: IMDB plugin issues #76 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,554 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 26 September 2022 - 12:14

I have no clue, I never use the github UI the way you do. Afaik you need to specify the target branch when you create a PR?

Re: IMDB plugin issues #77 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,244 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 26 September 2022 - 13:37

But I don't want it to push to master.

When I PR to python3 branch it works as expected and it wants to push one change (mine) to python3 branch.

When I create feature branch python3-fix from python3 branch and PR there it wants to push 180 changes to master branch.

Why?

Really simple. If the branch on your fork is behind there are not commits to push. If your fork is 180 commits ahead and you make a PR it will want to push all those commits to the PR including your new one.

Re: IMDB plugin issues #78 scriptmelvin †

• PLi® Contributor
  • 720 posts

+46
Good

Posted 26 September 2022 - 13:46

Yes I understand all that. What I don't understand is: I have a branch python3 that is up to date with upstream:python3. From this branch I create a feature branch. This feature branch then suddenly is 180 commits ahead of upstream:main. How? It was created from a branch that was up to date with upstream:python3.

Re: IMDB plugin issues #79 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,554 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 26 September 2022 - 14:05

Github seems to compare it with the default branch, in which case the observation is correct: python3 is many commits again of master.

But when creating a PR, it should create it against the upstream python3 branch (which you forked), not the master branch.

Re: IMDB plugin issues #80 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,244 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 26 September 2022 - 14:26

Yes I understand all that. What I don't understand is: I have a branch python3 that is up to date with upstream:python3. From this branch I create a feature branch. This feature branch then suddenly is 180 commits ahead of upstream:main. How? It was created from a branch that was up to date with upstream:python3.

Because upstream main is 180 commits behind python3, and your starting point is python3. So if you want your commit in the master branch you have to pick it in (like I already said) and deal with any merge conflict.

Alternatively, if your file is python2 compatible just commit the complete file to the master branch.

Edited by Huevos, 26 September 2022 - 14:27.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imdb plugin, imdb, plugin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users