• Please log in to reply
592 replies to this topic

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #361 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,933 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 26 April 2023 - 21:42

Yep indeed… but not a real added value. More a work-a-round other images make…

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #362 Frenske

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 27,450 posts

+397
Excellent

Posted 27 April 2023 - 07:42

Just to be clear...

In other images (not PLi) if you make a backup of slot 0, you can back up all slots on block so when restored all slots are restored.

I assume in this case you are referring to a full backup of the image in slot 0. Is my assumption correct?

In my opinion this isn’t really useful as I wanted to flash another OpenPLi image in slot 0. Now I have a homebuild in slot 0 and would like to have an original NB in slot 0.

In that case it doesn’t offer a simple solution to place another image in slot 0. At the moment I even can’t flash a ‘new’ image other then via USB and next I must reinstall all Multiboot images. 

Mijn schotel is een T90 met 10 LNB's. Daarnaast voor de fun nog een draaibaar systeem met een Triax TD 78.

Dreamboxen heb ik niet meer echt actief. Verder heb ik ook nog een een VU+ duo2 met 500Gb harddisk + een VU+ Uno, Zero, Solo 4K, Ultimo 4K, Zero 4K, Uno 4Kse. + ook nog een Xtrend ET7x00. Daarnaast heb ik ook nog diverse andere modellen w.o. een Formuler F4, ET8500, ET7500, Mut@nt 2400HD, Xsarius Fusion HD se en verder nog wel het e.e.a. waarmee op verzoek vanalles wordt getest. Iemand moet het tenslotte doen. ;) :)
Los van de eerder genoemde modellen heb ik nog wel een rits aan testsamples als Mut@nt 2400HD, HD60, GB UE4K, GB Trio4K, Maxitec Multibox combo en Twin, Octagon sf8008, sf8008 mini en last but nog least enkele modellen van het Grieks Duitse Edision.

Voor centrale opslag van media gebruik ik een Qnap 219P 
met tweemaal 2 Tb harddisks + een Synology DS414 met 12 Tb Totale opslag.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: Just one click away from this "solutioncentre".

Als ik alles al wist hoefde ik ook niets te vragen. If I had all the knowledge I had no questions at all.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #363 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,933 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 27 April 2023 - 09:46

There is still actually a lack of a recovery image…. A full backup of slot 0 with all the others included what other images do is actually a work-a-round and therefore the vuplus multiboot is still sub-optimal. But we are aware of it and as long nobody will make a mini recovery image than this will be the fact.

I just committed an image branding selection in FlashImage while keeping the alternate image as it always was…. But on the h7 box I do not get many from the feeds…

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #364 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,933 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 29 April 2023 - 16:08

Why

with open("/STARTUP", 'w') as f:  
f.write(self.STARTUP)

as 

open(“/STARTUP”, ‘w’).write(self.STARTUP)

does the same job?

and in kexecinit we have an if box x then y that needs to be relocated to SystemInfo.py…. Maybe via the existing key

Edited by littlesat, 29 April 2023 - 16:10.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #365 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,589 posts

+160
Excellent

Posted 29 April 2023 - 17:00

Why

with open("/STARTUP", 'w') as f:  
f.write(self.STARTUP)

as 

open(“/STARTUP”, ‘w’).write(self.STARTUP)

does the same job?

No.

>>> x = open("/etc/enigma2/settings")
>>> dir(x)
['_CHUNK_SIZE', '__class__', '__del__', '__delattr__', '__dict__', '__dir__', '__doc__', '__enter__', '__eq__', '__exit__', '__format__', '__ge__', '__getattribute__', '__getstate__', '__gt__', '__hash__', '__init__', '__init_subclass__', '__iter__', '__le__', '__lt__', '__ne__', '__new__', '__next__', '__reduce__', '__reduce_ex__', '__repr__', '__setattr__', '__sizeof__', '__str__', '__subclasshook__', '_checkClosed', '_checkReadable', '_checkSeekable', '_checkWritable', '_finalizing', 'buffer', 'close', 'closed', 'detach', 'encoding', 'errors', 'fileno', 'flush', 'isatty', 'line_buffering', 'mode', 'name', 'newlines', 'read', 'readable', 'readline', 'readlines', 'reconfigure', 'seek', 'seekable', 'tell', 'truncate', 'writable', 'write', 'write_through', 'writelines']
>>>

Using the "with" statement ensures that both __enter__() and __exit__() are called.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #366 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,933 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 29 April 2023 - 22:47

As far I know it does exactly the same… the file is created. Your example give an x that says active. I do not do the x= your example is not a valid argument here. There the file stays open until you do x.close(). My example the file is directly closed so exactly the same.

Edited by littlesat, 29 April 2023 - 22:50.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #367 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,589 posts

+160
Excellent

Posted 29 April 2023 - 23:07

You really should read PEP343 written Guido van Rossum, the creator of python, in 2005.

Edited by Huevos, 29 April 2023 - 23:16.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #368 scriptmelvin †

• PLi® Contributor
  • 720 posts

+46
Good

Posted 30 April 2023 - 00:47

My example the file is directly closed so exactly the same.

But this is up to the implementation. In CPython (the one PLi uses) the file is indeed closed when its refcount drops to zero, but no guarantees in other implementations. Using context manager (with keyword) guarantees that the file closes after the with block in any implementation, even when an exception is raised.

Sorry to inform you this member, my brother, passed away.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #369 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,933 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 30 April 2023 - 07:53

As far I can see PEP343 is not relevant here as I except no exceptions here and even with an exception the file will be closed as far I know. But a good discussion. There is no ‘input’ that is handled that could cause an exception. A write is also not included in the examples as far I can see. In what other environment can this go wrong because when this is the case we should consider to redo it on other places. I see a lot of other images that open the file, write and then close in three rows. For me this oneline I also learned more the 10 years ago that it was the right way to do and should always work in all conditions was right. The PEP is just about the when the with command was introduced in 2005 with some examples of opening files and processing them as input

For enigma2 it seems to be fine but when there is indeed a risk this could be wrong then we have more places to adapt.

Edited by littlesat, 30 April 2023 - 08:09.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #370 rantanplan

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,846 posts

+83
Good

Posted 30 April 2023 - 21:08

https://forums.openp...dpost&p=1536472

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #371 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,933 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 30 April 2023 - 21:21

Looks like a self. is forgotten…. Multiple times

Edited by littlesat, 30 April 2023 - 21:21.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #372 scriptmelvin †

• PLi® Contributor
  • 720 posts

+46
Good

Posted 1 May 2023 - 04:08

As far I can see PEP343 is not relevant here as I except no exceptions here and even with an exception the file will be closed as far I know. But a good discussion. There is no ‘input’ that is handled that could cause an exception. A write is also not included in the examples as far I can see. In what other environment can this go wrong because when this is the case we should consider to redo it on other places. I see a lot of other images that open the file, write and then close in three rows. For me this oneline I also learned more the 10 years ago that it was the right way to do and should always work in all conditions was right. The PEP is just about the when the with command was introduced in 2005 with some examples of opening files and processing them as input

For enigma2 it seems to be fine but when there is indeed a risk this could be wrong then we have more places to adapt.

I think it should be fine. The one-liner open(...).write(...) is used all over the place (over a 100 times), and in CPython it works fine. And it was all we had before context manager was introduced.

Sorry to inform you this member, my brother, passed away.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #373 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,589 posts

+160
Excellent

Posted 1 May 2023 - 09:28

I think it should be fine. The one-liner open(...).write(...) is used all over the place (over a 100 times), and in CPython it works fine. And it was all we had before context manager was introduced.

That is fine if you want to run a pattern that was replaced 18 years ago, but doesn't mean it is better because "this is what we have always used". TBH, I can't believe this has been brought up as "wrong". If PLi team doesn't like this please change, but there is nothing wrong with the original.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #374 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,933 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 1 May 2023 - 12:29

I still think the PEP is not related here. What I'm more interesting about is that in CPython it works fine. In what does it not work fine? And is this a good reason/risk that we need to change it.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #375 rantanplan

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,846 posts

+83
Good

Posted 2 May 2023 - 00:21

Because you will be asked about it...
Backport of the multiboot in 8.3 is still being considered, isn't it?

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #376 rantanplan

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,846 posts

+83
Good

Posted 19 May 2023 - 23:08

https://forums.openp...-3#entry1541495

Here a very experienced and technically skilled user reports about problems regarding the new 'Kexec-Multiboot'!
This user is certainly far superior to me and many others here of Linux and also e2 knowledge.

Why not address that now?

The problems described are independent of the image in the boot area.
It was Pli in the R range and vice versa also an ATV.

I ask again as not the owner of such a box.
VU+ images were previously fine.
The users had little or no interest in a multiboot solution.
Neutrino has had a multiboot solution since 2019.
This solution is open and clearly recognizable to everyone as a real flash partition multiboot.

If a problem is now presented loud and clear, why not immediately take it seriously as a warning?

The many questions about using the new Kexec Multiboot have still not been described.
The hint to leave the (R-Image) as untouched as possible is still missing.

I think all this is very unfortunate for the users of the VU+ boxes.

Also for developers who test images, a multiboot that cannot be relied on becomes a problem.
The question is :
Can you rely on it?
Why do the blue images coming from the 'pre-kernel' appear?

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #377 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,933 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 20 May 2023 - 07:47

The dark blue images is what I expected to happen. The implementations misses a real recovery system as the recovery is the image in slot 0. Actually where you got the dark blue screen there belongs the recovery stuff, the way to select a slot etc…
With keeping the limitations in mind the multiboot is working fine here… but I agree someone needs to find time to fix it or indeed another solution could be tried.

Edited by littlesat, 20 May 2023 - 07:50.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #378 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,186 posts

+346
Excellent

Posted 20 May 2023 - 07:48

rantanplan

What exactly are the problems?

Can you give me the exact link.

GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Duo 4K

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #379 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,933 posts

+695
Excellent

Posted 20 May 2023 - 07:52

That user at the link does indeed not exactly give the issues. But I can tell you that the image in slot 0 for example can break things.

Re: Vu+ 4K Multiboot #380 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,186 posts

+346
Excellent

Posted 20 May 2023 - 07:54

But I can tell you that the image in slot 0 for example can break things.

I noticed this, for example:

VU+ DUO4K display not working

GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Duo 4K

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users