• Please log in to reply
998 replies to this topic

Re: Language assistance requested... #761 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,343 posts

+120
Excellent

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:46

If this changes is only used on openpli, then where is the problem with the normal developing process with offering changes to git instead of changing files in the forum?

Because you don't post code to the git until it is ready for beta testing. Ian is sharing his code here so all involved can try changes before they are pushed. That way it doesn't make a big mess of the git history where code/ideas are immediately rejected.

Big mess of the git history is to move the existing functions to another location and publish another code with own name that it is now doing by Ian ;) .

Re: Language assistance requested... #762 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,343 posts

+120
Excellent

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:57

Personally I like the wider spacebar + the wider buttons on the left...

Why these extra buttons in the left can not be placed at the bottom, where is place for buttons witch are not used?
If a language uses a different number of buttons, then you need to make the dynamic skin, as it did by ims with the font size in NumericalTextInput.
Instead this, a fixed size with unused buttons is created :wacko:.

I see that littlesat has a special attitude to IanSav changes and is it accepted without discussion, ignoring the objections in PR :( .

Edited by Taapat, 18 September 2018 - 09:59.

Re: Language assistance requested... #763 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:46

Hi Littlesat,

And here they have another design of a keyboard... With wider buttons on the left and a longer spacebar and they are busy with youtube siggestions (which works until youtube brakes it ;))

https://forums.openp...gin-10/page-125

Personally I like the wider spacebar + the wider buttons on the left... 

This also means this topic is getting even more interesting... And I'm happy to read that it is pioneered at the 'source' of all the open code....

The new keyboard certainly looks interesting and appears to have some benefits over my version.  Where is the code for this new keyboard?  Is it intended to be a drop in replacement in Enigma2?  Will it be skinnable?

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #764 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:51

Hi Taapat,

My proposals and code have been here for all to see well before the code was published.  If you are so unhappy with my contribution why didn't you comment and contribute earlier.  You never provided any details or answers to any comments that reflect badly on your efforts.  You just like to spit venom at others.

I am over your snipping and constant complaining.  Why don't you expend your efforts in being constructive?

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #765 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,343 posts

+120
Excellent

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:21

In my view, the normal development process is working with the code in git.
In it you see exactly what, when and why is changed.
This code can be tested by all users who use images from the current code, and not just some who download files from the forum.
And there's no problem discussing pull request before merge, or later changing the code that many have tested.

You do not offer diffs here, you are offering files.
You want if others spend their time comparing changes, why would someone do it?

Re: Language assistance requested... #766 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:32

Hi,

I don't submit code to repositories until the code has been checked, code reviewed and tested.  I don't believe in wasting people's time and/or risking the stability of builds by doing anything less.

I am over responding to negative and pointless posts.  I wish to spend my energy on constructive projects that contribute positively to Enigma2.

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #767 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:01

Ask SSS where the code is......

Edited by littlesat, 18 September 2018 - 12:01.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Language assistance requested... #768 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:53

I asked SSS where the code is and he replied...

https://gitlab.com/i...onents/e2ivk.py

See thread

https://forums.openp...gin-10/page-126

I like that it reads KLE files to create the layout (but I prefer when made this way to get a language selection list and download only what is needed or so). I also like the long spacebar and the wider buttons on the right and left. Probably it should be considered to (partly) adapt...

The prefered list is a feature that should not be on the standard keyboard.... it might be added as a switch on/off feature.

As you can see this code builds his own virtual keyboard skin within the code....So a skin.xml cannot really work-a-round it (skinTab variable)

Edited by littlesat, 20 September 2018 - 08:59.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Language assistance requested... #769 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:05

Hi Littlesat,

I created my version of VirtualKeyBoard to fix and improve on the existing code and to provide me the infrastructure I needed to support my new Setup code.

The new keyboard to which you provided links looks nice.  Will it be a full drop in replacement for the existing VirtualKeyBoard?  If it can't be skinned then that lessens its value somewhat.  There will be issues if the receiver requires a constant Internet connection for the VirtualKeyBoard to work (Google lookups, etc).

If this keyboard is to replace my contribution then so be it.  If my code is to be enhanced to create variable sized buttons then great.  As I have always said, we should all be working towards improving Enigma2.  I have no current intention of changing my version of VirtualKeyBoard until I complete my work on fixing and upgrading the Setup system, Menu system and the other related UI unifications.  When those tasks are complete, and if my VirtualKeyBoard is still in use, I may look at providing variable width buttons.

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #770 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,343 posts

+120
Excellent

Posted 20 September 2018 - 16:14

I also really like how the sss keyboard look.
It seems to me that the long spacebar and the wider buttons on the right and left need to implement the first.

I do not know if separate layout files are needed. It seems to me that the layouts takes so little space that there is no real benefit to download them separately.
For example, translations of each language take many more places.
If the idea is to use standard microsoft layouts, then I do not know how it is in other languages, but for example in Latvian, in the layouts differ only which key use fo the turn on national symbols.
In the enigma for switching we use the button anyway, so they are actually only duplicating.

Personally, I using 'header' for suggestions for a long time:
Attached File  screenshot.jpg   100.67KB   2 downloads
That's why I'm here fighting for okClicked, who offers me suggestions.
Of course, nothing can be selected there. I need to close the keyboard to use suggestions.
If there was any dynamic widget I would use it. But at this moment it is not the most important.

Re: Language assistance requested... #771 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,343 posts

+120
Excellent

Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:45

Looking at the code nailed, I see that to implement different size buttons only need to create a png of the appropriate size and create a choise selected key according to the size of the selected button.
In addition, need to move buttons, such as space, into another location.
The button size and location check in code already is supported.

I personally do not like to introduce additional png images. For example long and short enter.
I think it's better to use the words for the enter, shift and other buttons as in sss keybord.

Edited by Taapat, 21 September 2018 - 11:46.

Re: Language assistance requested... #772 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,075 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:06

Just my opinion: I also really like the variable size buttons on the SSS keyboard but mainly the spacebar which is really too small in IanSav version.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Language assistance requested... #773 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 21 September 2018 - 13:38

Hi,

Please keep in mind that my code was a refactor and not a full redesign of the original VirtualKeyBoard.  I simply wanted to fix issues in the original code and not redesign the UI.  If a redesign was appropriate then I may well have added the option for variable sized buttons.  I did actually think about it but couldn't justify the time, code bloat and resource usage for a UI with potentially minimal usage.

Please also keep in mind that this is a UI that is not heavily used.  It is a convenience for those who want something more than the SMS / NumericalTextInput style of input.  Do we really want to invest so heavily in an aspect of the code that is infrequently used?  There are so many other things that can be improved in Enigma2 that will have significantly more benefit for more users.

As I said earlier, when I complete some of my other projects that are currently in development I may well come back and look at the variable sized buttons question.  Please note and keep in mind that this would very likely require even more significant skin changes!

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #774 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 21 September 2018 - 13:40

Hi Pr2,

Just my opinion: I also really like the variable size buttons on the SSS keyboard but mainly the spacebar which is really too small in IanSav version.

How big should the SPACE button be?

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #775 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 21 September 2018 - 13:49

The wider buttons is not really needed... but a wider spacebar is Some kind a must

Edited by littlesat, 21 September 2018 - 14:06.

Re: Language assistance requested... #776 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,343 posts

+120
Excellent

Posted 21 September 2018 - 14:13

The wider buttons is not really needed... but a wider spacebar is Some kind a must

I do not agree.
I think that the wider buttons should be used in the rows where there are unused buttons.
For example, wider enter in english if there is an empty button before.

Re: Language assistance requested... #777 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 21 September 2018 - 14:25

But note you start to make a complex thing (anyway)....

Re: Language assistance requested... #778 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 21 September 2018 - 14:27

I do not agree.
I think that the wider buttons should be used in the rows where there are unused buttons.
For example, wider enter in english if there is an empty button before.

I absolutely disagree with that. It would make UI ugly (apart from complicating the code).

Re: Language assistance requested... #779 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,343 posts

+120
Excellent

Posted 21 September 2018 - 14:36

There is no complicated code here.
Select button size already is checked on each selection change, just need to add relevant png, as it already does with the buttons with images.

I personally, therefore, like the sss keyboard that she is similar to a computer keyboard, with no empty unused buttons.

Re: Language assistance requested... #780 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 21 September 2018 - 15:07

Can you point me to that part...

Actually you navigate with left/right/up/down and you have equal keys in each row... so I do not see how the navigation can be done quickly for larger buttons...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users