GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Solo 4K

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2022 - 12:59

What does that exactly do?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #3 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2022 - 13:17

Original OpenPLi transcoding not work for lunix3-4k gbquad4k gbue4k.

This same as TransCodingSetup

+

https://github.com/o...filestreamproxy

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2022 - 13:30

Wouldn't it then not be better to fix is, instead of work around it using a plugin?

You can't compare OE-A transcoding with PLi transcoding, it works completely different.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #5 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2022 - 13:34

Wouldn't it then not be better to fix is, instead of work around it using a plugin?

How to do it?

https://forums.openp...dpost&p=1259097

https://forums.openp...dpost&p=1259117

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2022 - 17:47

I've asked Erik to have a look, I think he has the most knowledge of Enigma streaming and transcoding.

If Dags needs to do something or supply something, I can pass that on, but I need to the point information.

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #7 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2022 - 18:41

This conversation has been going on for many years.

I offer a simple alternative solution for individual users.

Edited by Dimitrij, 14 May 2022 - 18:41.

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #8 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2022 - 08:21

Well the starting point is that nobody needs a plugin to use transcoding, not on VU+ not on any other manufacturers' STB. The reason we ship a plugin is that the Open Web Interface "needs" it, it depends on certain values being in the configuration to determine whether the receiver can transcoding and what port (...) to use. Some us don't use transcoding via the OWIF (like me), in that case you can leave out the plugin.

So the question is (again), what does the plugin do exactly?

If it really does some hardware configuration that's now not in streamproxy or enigma, it should be added there. I can do that, no problem. I have always tried to have both up to date for all supported STBes, but I lack information to do so completely. Various manufacturers need different ways to start transcoding and they're not telling me...

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #9 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2022 - 12:54

https://github.com/o...nstreamproxy.bb

https://github.com/o...cipes-transcode

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2022 - 15:04

That looks like a copy of the original VU+ transtreamproxy, which would suggest that Gigablue uses VU+ compatible transcoding?

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #11 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2022 - 16:25

That looks like a copy of the original VU+ transtreamproxy, which would suggest that Gigablue uses VU+ compatible transcoding?

Gigablue/VU+/Lunix3-K in oe-alliance use same "git://github.com/oe-mirrors/filestreamproxy.git;protocol=http;branch=transtreamproxy"

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #12 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2022 - 16:33

Since we support VU+ in our code, it shouldn't be too difficult to extend that to Gigablue and Qviart (and then probably Xsarius too).

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #13 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2022 - 16:41

They've already been added, but it doesn't work.

https://github.com/e...c/stbtraits.cpp

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #14 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 20 May 2022 - 13:57

This is not about a plugin, but about a mechanism (to set up the transcoder and stream the data to the user application). The plugin (in any form) only does useless stuff.

Okay, so let me explain the whole story - again.

VU+ uses a mechanism that is 1:1 copied from Broadcom. It's a bit dumb because it needs video data to be pumped around like this:

tuner+demux -> encoder -> user application (socket)

Every -> is a copy process.

Also VU+/Broadcom require a strange setup where the video data is fed into the encoder, but at the same time (!) another thread needs to be spawned and perform a specific blocking operating system call. If you don't do that or do it too soon or too late, transcoding won't start, there will be no data from the encoder. Of course this isn't documented anywhere and I had to find out using reverse engineering. From the way the original (VU+) transtreamproxy source, this isn't evident.

Anyway, we have had it sort of working now for some time.

We have been using the "transtreamproxy" from VU+ for some time, but it's horrendously badly written and will only work (unmodified) on VU+ receivers. That's where I created the streamproxy that has a compatibility layer for quite a lot of settopboxes. It also even works on "Xtrend" transcoding receivers.

Then there is (or I should say "was") Xtrend that presented a different, more elegant interface to transcoding. It's possible to link a pair of tuner+demux directly to the encoder. The only thing you need to do is fetch data from the encoder and send it to the user application (socket). No useless data copying or weird dances to get the transcoding started. As it was so simple, existing enigma code could be used to send the data from the encoder to the user, there are already functions for that. That's why it was implemented inside Enigma itself. Having the transcoding inside Enigma has quite a bit of advantages, one of them being that Enigma knows everything about a service, like available sound pids, the corresponding languages and what language is preferred by the user. Also authentication is simple also including OWIF access, as opposed to using an external program like streamproxy or transtreamproxy, where it's a nightmare.

So adding VU+/Broadcom transcoding support to Enigma is the way to go.

I have been thinking for years and years how to achieve that and something like 2 years ago I started the implementation. It needs quite a bit changes in Enigma because the VU+ encoder must be addressed very specifically, it's not as simple as the "Xtrend" encoder. Also there needs to be an extra thread to copy the data to the encoder, which is not required for "Xtrend" transcoding. Synchronising this thread to other Enigma code appeared to be "difficult" as starting a "copy data" thread is normally a "fire and forget" action in Enigma, but in this case Enigma must act on certain conditions presented in the "copy data" thread.

The result is that VU+ transcoding now more or less works, but it has impact on normal recordings, because Enigma uses the same mechanism there. It's not easy to separate the two (otherwise I would have done it for sure). After quite some debugging and changes I think the normal recording is now more or less stable again, but it seems occasionaly there are still problems on some MIPS receivers (not on ARM, which is strange...)

So the idea is to stop with streamproxy altogether and to add support for all the STB's in Enigma. I have been busy with that for some time, specifically, to start with, GigaBlue. I have spent a lot of time to get it working, but I simply can't. There is no information at all on how GigaBlue transcoding differs from how VU+ and Broadcom do it.

So if anywone wants to have GigaBlue transcoding support, I am all for it. It will be in Enigma, not in streamproxy or even transtreamproxy and someone will tell me how to get it working.

Until then, there is nothing I can do.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #15 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 20 May 2022 - 14:37

Given the fact that the OE copy of the transstreamproxy seem to work on Gigablue / Xsarius / Qviart broadcoms,. and the source of that proxy is available, it should be possible to find the differences?

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #16 arn354

• 146 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 20 May 2022 - 16:29

gb-transcoding for BCM is identical to vu-transcoding. Simply handle them as vu.

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #17 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 20 May 2022 - 20:00

That's what I thought... ;)

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #18 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 20 May 2022 - 21:14

So the idea is to stop with streamproxy altogether and to add support for all the STB's in Enigma. I have been busy with that for some time, specifically, to start with, GigaBlue. I have spent a lot of time to get it working, but I simply can't. There is no information at all on how GigaBlue transcoding differs from how VU+ and Broadcom do it.

So what's the problem?

The era of the BCM t is over.

The end user just wants to buy a receiver, install the openPli image and everything works.

In fact, everything is not оk, no CI+ no trancoding and etc.. etc...

What do we want to achieve in the end?

P.S.Erik, I can understand you.

I will never grow up to your level of knowledge.

Perfect/flawless code is beauty.

But...

Edited by Dimitrij, 20 May 2022 - 21:23.

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #19 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 23 May 2022 - 09:24

Given the fact that the OE copy of the transstreamproxy seem to work on Gigablue / Xsarius / Qviart broadcoms,. and the source of that proxy is available, it should be possible to find the differences?

Believe me I tried. I spent about 100 hours on it and I can't lay my finger on it. I think that is enough.

So what we need is someone who is willing to spend even more time on it or just knows what the actual interface is. It seems to me that GB could be giving us that information.

What we also need is a buddy that can help brainstorm on how to implement this properly in Enigma. Instead of just me spending lot of time and then the only feedback being "you broke everything".

Re: Advanced transcoding setup #20 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:13

BTW I am not against providing the VU+ transtreamproxy in a package for those who can't get it working with our own tools (streamproxy and enigma). But there will be no support at all and it should be clearly marked as such (and also that it's not a plugin).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: plugin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users